Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Genuine" celtic fans need to weed out bad element...

Moderating your ma RafaelScheidt's Avatar

Default Re: "Genuine" celtic fans need to weed out bad element...

Quote Originally Posted by pual View Post
    Sorry mate I'm not having that. He made an issue about fans "disrespecting" the minutes silence for poppy day and I asked him why he thought that, as we have a large % of Irish fans, why we should respect those that have wreaked havoc across the water. I was reasonable in my questioning and, ironically, am still awaiting an answer.

As I'm sure you're more than aware the problems in Ireland are still very fresh in the mind and personally I thought he was bang out of order to raise that issue.
    See that's a fair point and I agree with you regarding the issue. I'm a Republican myself but with other posts calling him a hun and posting rebel songs (if I didn't know anything about Republicanism, i'd take it as brutish and hun-like).

Also, you have to realise national media and the PC brigade went against the poppy protest and it takes alot to cut through the bullshit and Republicanism as a right choice

Quote Originally Posted by RafaelScheidt View Post
    See that's a fair point and I agree with you regarding the issue. I'm a Republican myself but with other posts calling him a hun and posting rebel songs (if I didn't know anything about Republicanism, i'd take it as brutish and hun-like).

Also, you have to realise national media and the PC brigade went against the poppy protest and it takes alot to cut through the bullshit and Republicanism as a right choice
    Fair play. I could see to an extent what he was saying cos whether we like it or not, it will attract bad publicity. Especially in the UK.

He did however contradict himself a few times when he said about it not being the place for it at a football ground. Then he slated the lads who chose not to enter the ground to pay respect to the Brits-confused--confused-

I thought he was being pretty disrespectful to our Irish fans, and those with Irish relatives etc. He may not have meant to, but he did.

Moderating your ma RafaelScheidt's Avatar

Fair play. I could see to an extent what he was saying cos whether we like it or not, it will attract bad publicity. Especially in the UK.

He did however contradict himself a few times when he said about it not being the place for it at a football ground. Then he slated the lads who chose not to enter the ground to pay respect to the Brits-confused--confused-

I thought he was being pretty disrespectful to our Irish fans, and those with Irish relatives etc. He may not have meant to, but he did.
    As i said earlier I thought he acted like a bit of a cunt too. You have to think about how many share his views though, you can't blame them all for being sucked into that PC bullshit

I'm no gonny lie, going to get made a cunt out of for saying this aswell probably, but I can't stand all that PC bullshit!

Who gives a shit though?
    They're going to print their bullshit and drag Celtic through the mud *no matter what* we do.

「Every good Tim has a Tattoo, Fucked a whore, and at least one Infraction」
    ~ Chesty Puller

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/4964/hondagoal2.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshin View Post
    Who gives a shit though?
    They're going to print their bullshit and drag Celtic through the mud *no matter what* we do.
    So you agree then, fuck the haters?

Until such times as some brave soul deems it illegal to say 'IRA' we should carry on as normal...
    "Celtic is important to me in as much as it's one of the only constants in my life over the years. I have changed and become various things but it is the one constant. Religion, friendships have come and gone, likes and dislikes have come and gone, but Celtic has remained." - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by green_t View Post
    So you agree then, fuck the haters?

Until such times as some brave soul deems it illegal to say 'IRA' we should carry on as normal...
    Hail, Hail!

Apart from the bolded bit, can someone tell me why some quarters want songs like this banned?

No sectarianism, no bigotry, not even taunting the huns....when people get annoyed about BOTOB it says more about them than it does the people who sing it proudly.

And to the fans who want rebel songs banned from Celtic Park, can you please show us what songs you want banned? Copy and Paste, and highlight the offensive parts, so we can get this in the open once and for all.

Oh, father why are you so sad
    On this bright Easter morní
    When Irish men are proud and glad
    Of the land that they were born?
    Oh, son, I see in memíries few
    Of far off distant days
    When being just a lad like you
    I joined the IRA.

Where are the lads that stood with me
    When history was made?
    A Ghra Mo Chroi, I long to see
    The boys of the old brigade.

From hills and farms a call to arms
    Was heard by one and all.
    And from the glen came brave young men
    To answer Irelandís call.
    ĎT wasnít long ago we faced a foe,
    The old brigade and me,
    And by my side they fought and died
    That Ireland might be free.

When history was made?

And now, my boy, Iíve told you why
    On Easter morní I sigh,
    For I recall my comrades all
    And dark old days gone by.
    I think of men who fought in glen
    With rifle and grenade.
    May heaven keep the men who sleep
    From the ranks of the old brigade.

When history was made?

IRA is not on a par with wading in Fenian's blood, no matter what the media might tell you.

Apart from the bolded bit, can someone tell me why some quarters want songs like this banned?

No sectarianism, no bigotry, not even taunting the huns....when people get annoyed about BOTOB it says more about them than it does the people who sing it proudly.

And to the fans who want rebel songs banned from Celtic Park, can you please show us what songs you want banned? Copy and Paste, and highlight the offensive parts, so we can get this in the open once and for all.

IRA is not on a par with wading in Fenian's blood, no matter what the media might tell you.
    No reply yet, I think that sums it up.

Celtic first, Celtic last, Celtic over all!

Quote Originally Posted by GalwayBhoy View Post
    No reply yet, I think that sums it up.
    Not sure if he ( or anyone else who agrees with him) has been on yet mate.

I look forward to their 'argument'

Couldn't have agree wi your more on this thread mate, just about (if not) all of your posts have been spot on! How these "Celtic fans" can be offended or find it bad publicity for the club to sing the Irish national anthem, Boys of the Old Brigade, Roll of Honour, etc. need there heads looked at. Big difference between signing Rebs to singing "Upto our knees in Fenian blood", "The famine is over, why don't you go home?" or "Dundee, Hamilton, fuck the Pope and the Vatican", etc.

with all the bad written about us in those threads, think this is important.

19 fans arrested were lincoln city fans and one was from glasgow, i think lincoln city fans might worry a bit more about their own reputation rather than ours.

There are actually a few add-ons I don't like: ''God bless the pope'' in the Soldiers Song, ''Soon there'll be no protestants at all'' in On the One Road etc. Republicans believe in a seperation of church and state like, and to quote the Proclomation, ''The Republic guarantees religious and civil liberity to all its citizens...''
    Last edited by Galway Bhoy; 26-07-2010 at 11:49 PM.

There are actually a few add-ons I don't like: ''God bless the pope'' in the Soldiers Song, ''Soon there'll be no protestants at all'' in On the One Road etc. Republicans believe in a seperation of church and state like, and to quote the Proclomation, ''The Republican guarantees religious and civil liberity to all its citizens..''
    see this proves that even republicans arent all on the same page, i see your point as to why you dont like the add ons but for me saying god bless the pope i actually do mean it plus i think its symbolic because for years the catholics have been supressed here in the north of ireland as regards practicing our religion so when the day comes that a united ireland is achieved id like to think il be able to practice my religion without fear or being looked down upon

There are actually a few add-ons I don't like: ''God bless the pope'' in the Soldiers Song, ''Soon there'll be no protestants at all'' in On the One Road etc. Republicans believe in a seperation of church and state like, and to quote the Proclomation, ''The Republican guarantees religious and civil liberity to all its citizens..''
    "No protestants at all" is not sang any more I'm sure mate. (I've not heard it for at least 15 years anyway)

I also hate the amended songs sung at CP if I'm being honest, including adding 'provisional wing' in BOTOB, which is a song that should be kept as a tribute to the brave men of the Easter Rising.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfitz View Post
    see this proves that even republicans arent all on the same page, i see your point as to why you dont like the add ons but for me saying god bless the pope i actually do mean it plus i think its symbolic because for years the catholics have been supressed here in the north of ireland as regards practicing our religion so when the day comes that a united ireland is achieved id like to think il be able to practice my religion without fear or being looked down upon
    No Republican believes in looking down on anyone's religious beliefs, nor do they believe in bigging it up. It should be a personal thing, catholic schools and protestant schools preach division by their very nature. Hence the need to seperate church and state. If their is no 'official' religion in a state, then no one can be regarded as better than anyone else because of their religious beliefs.

And btw, how did you get ''id like to think il be able to practice my religion without fear or being looked down upon'' from ''''The Republic guarantees religious and civil liberity to all its citizens...''?

Don't particularly like the GBTP add-on in the English version of AmhrŠn na bhFiann, never heard that add-on sang in On the One Road tbh, the only one I do add is from Boys of the Old Brigade but I can see where you're comin from GT. Singles out a certain era, well down the line after the Easter Rising.

No Republican believes in looking down on anyone's religious beliefs, nor do they believe in bigging it up. It should be a personal thing, catholic schools and protestant schools preach division by their very nature. Hence the need to seperate church and state. If their is no 'official' religion in a state, then no one can be regarded as better than anyone else because of their religious beliefs.

And btw, how did you get ''id like to think il be able to practice my religion without fear or being looked down upon'' from ''''The Republic guarantees religious and civil liberity to all its citizens...''?
    i didnt mean for that my quote to be used against the end of your quote im just saying thats what i would like when a united ireland comes about that im not told to keep my religious views to myself incase they offend others!

i think the real point im trying to make is that the add ons in the soldier song (which by the way i hate hearing it sung in english) god bless the pope i dont see why you would want it removed after all the argument usually is that with the irish connections to celtic that is why we sing these songs well wether you like it or not it was a religious man who brought about celtic so to put religious things into songs is just like singing republican songs because of the irish connection.

Quote Originally Posted by mcfitz View Post
    i didnt mean for that my quote to be used against the end of your quote im just saying thats what i would like when a united ireland comes about that im not told to keep my religious views to myself incase they offend others!

i think the real point im trying to make is that the add ons in the soldier song (which by the way i hate hearing it sung in english) god bless the pope i dont see why you would want it removed after all the argument usually is that with the irish connections to celtic that is why we sing these songs well wether you like it or not it was a religious man who brought about celtic so to put religious things into songs is just like singing republican songs because of the irish connection.
    I never said you had to keep your religious beliefs to yourself, nor have I ever heard Republicans say that. I said Ireland shouldn't be a catholic state, as that, by it's very nature, discriminates against other religions. That's all.

A religious add-on in a Republican song, even though Republicans don't believe in religious triumphalism? Fuck that shit. Thankfully real Republicans see past that seactarian tripe. Imagine if, at a commeration, a Republican ended a speech with 'God bless the pope'? The unionists would have a field day.

If you want to honour Celtic's connection with Ireland, sing Irish songs. If you want honour Brother Walfrid's part in establishing Celtic, sing songs about Brother Walfrid, not the pope.

I never said you had to keep your religious beliefs to yourself, nor have I ever heard Republicans say that. I said Ireland shouldn't be a catholic state, as that, by it's very nature, discriminates against other religions. That's all.

A religious add-on in a Republican song, even though Republicans don't believe in religious triumphalism? Fuck that shit. Thankfully real Republicans see past that seactarian tripe. Imagine if, at a commeration, a Republican ended a speech with 'God bless the pope'? The unionists would have a field day.

If you want to honour Celtic's connection with Ireland, sing Irish songs. If you want honour Brother Walfrid's part in establishing Celtic, sing songs about Brother Walfrid, not the pope.
    what would you think irish songs are?