Thread: Ryanair reports first loss in 20 years

Default Ryanair reports first loss in 20 years

Ryanair's daring attempt to buy Irish rival Aer Lingus backfired today as Europe's largest budget carrier reported its first loss in 20 years.

The budget carrier, one of the world's most profitable airlines, was dragged 180.5m (155m) into the red by a 222.5m writedown of its 29.8% stake in struggling Aer Lingus and further charges related to disposals from its rapidly growing fleet.

Ryanair's outspoken chief executive, Michael O'Leary, launched a second takeover bid for Ireland's flag carrier last year but was rebuffed by the Irish government and trade unions, who together control about 40% of an airline that they are adamant will not be sold to one of the most aggressive operators in the business. The rejection left O'Leary a powerless onlooker as Aer Lingus's performance deteriorated rapidly over the past year.

Despite recording a full-year loss that placed Ryanair in the same bracket as many of its competitors, O'Leary was bullish today about the airline's prospects for the year. British Airways refused to release guidance for the new financial year last month after announcing a pre-tax loss of 401m for 2008, but Ryanair said it planned to at least double post-tax earnings to between 200m and 300m.

"In this recessionary environment we intend to continue to offer European consumers ... better value just like Aldi, Lidl, IKEA and McDonalds are doing in their respective industries," O'Leary said.

Default Re: Ryanair reports first loss in 20 years

perfect

aside from the job loss's i suppose we can expect to be paying for the bog soon enough

Semi-Benevolent Dictator Euskadi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caoimhin View Post
    perfect

aside from the job loss's i suppose we can expect to be paying for the bog soon enough
    Hopefully. All the extra charges mean the 'core' product i.e. the ticket price comes down. Seeing as I only ever fly London to Shannon/Glasgow, it's not really that long to go without a piss.

The whole toilet thing was just a publicity stunt. It wouldn't be legal to charge for the use of toilets onboard. If an airline is to sell food and drink onboard they have to provide free to use toilet facilities.

The price of Ryanair flights is going up, even though on the face of it, it doesn't appear so. Before all "extra" charges were avoidable however now Ryanair are charging passengers 5 to check-in online and closing all airport check-in desks. So all passengers will need to pay the 5 check-in fee plus their basic fare.

No more 2p return flights.

I thought it was free to check-in online, but like 20 to check in at the airport?

It's pretty stupid really - it used to be that you could only check-in online if you only had hand-luggage, which was pretty handy for me when I was going up to Glasgow for a match as I could check in online and skip the queues.

Now you can do online-check in even with a bag, but then you have to queue up with all the cunts who are checking in at the airport as you have to drop your bag off. Shannon has a baggage drop, but London Gatwick for some reason doesn't. They also charge you 40 if you lose your boarding card/forget to check in online. 40 for them to print off a small slip of paper...

Quote Originally Posted by Euskal Herria View Post
    I thought it was free to check-in online, but like 20 to check in at the airport?

That was the policy, till they decided to change it yet again. Ryanair will close all there airport check-in desks and all passengers must check-in online. Its going to cost either 5 or 10 to check-in and that's per flight, so possibly 20 for a return trip.

Its also very stupid as allot of people when travelling don't have access to the Internet when on holiday and you can only check-in online 48 hours before the flight. So its going to cause allot of problems.

It's pretty stupid really - it used to be that you could only check-in online if you only had hand-luggage, which was pretty handy for me when I was going up to Glasgow for a match as I could check in online and skip the queues.

Now you can do online-check in even with a bag, but then you have to queue up with all the cunts who are checking in at the airport as you have to drop your bag off. Shannon has a baggage drop, but London Gatwick for some reason doesn't. They also charge you 40 if you lose your boarding card/forget to check in online. 40 for them to print off a small slip of paper...
    Its all about . Notice how these new charges are coming in as Ryanair announce record losses. Ryanair carry over 60 million passengers per year, so if its 5 to check-in that's an extra 300 million for Ryanair profits each year.

I'm guessing Ryanair dont have a bag drop of zone yet at London Gatwick because LGW is not a Ryanair base. Unlike Shannon and Glasgow Prestwick which are Ryanair bases. Apparently once all Ryanair check-in's have closed they will replace them with baggage drop-off points at all there airports.

The worst is the credit card charge (5 I think), mainly because if you're booking a return you get charged 2x5, even though it's a single transaction!

The worst is the credit card charge (5 I think), mainly because if you're booking a return you get charged 2x5, even though it's a single transaction!
    Yea Ryanair's credit card charges are ridicules. Triple the amount of what easyJet charge...

Although when booking with Ryanair I use my Electron Card; no charge at all for using a Electron Card.