Thread: R.I.P Raymond McCreesh

Default R.I.P Raymond McCreesh

Raymond McCreesh

Died May 21st, 1981

A quiet, good-natured and discreet republican

[edit] Background
    Raymond Peter McCreesh, the seventh in a family of eight children, was born in St. Malachy's Park, Camlough (So Armagh) on 25 February 1957. He was born into a strong nationalist family, and was active in the Republican movement since age 16.

Just two miles from Raymond’s home, was Bessbrook camp from which occupied forces, the British army's Parachute regiment, terrorised the South Armagh border area. Their widespread brutality and harassment of local people created a staunch Republican commitment in the area, a commitment that is seen to this day.

McCreesh was born in Camlough in County Armagh.He attended the local Primary School St Malachy's and Later attended St Colmans College in Newry, where he met Danny McGuinness. At the age of 17, McCreesh joined the South Armagh Brigade of the IRA. In June 1976, Danny McGuinness, Paddy Quinn, Seamus Quinn and McCreesh were captured during an ambush on a British Army patrol at the Mountain House Inn on the Newry-Newtownhamilton Road.

Raymond first joined na Fianna Éireann in 1973, and later that year he joined the Irish Republican Army's 1st Battalion, South Armagh.

Raymond worked for a short time as steelworker in a predominately loyalist factory in Lisburn. However, as sectarian threats and violence escalated, Raymond switched professions to work as a milk roundsman—an occupation which was to serve him well, as it greatly increased his knowledge of the surrounding countryside, as well as enabling him to observe the movements of British army patrols in the area. McCreesh was born in Camlough in County Armagh.He attended the local Primary School St Malachy's and later attended St Colmans College in Newry, where he met Danny McGuinness. At the age of 17, McCreesh joined the South Armagh Brigade of the IRA. In June 1976, Danny McGuinness, Paddy Quinn, Seamus Quinn and McCreesh were captured during an ambush on a British Army patrol at the Mountain House Inn on the Newry-Newtownhamilton Road.

[edit] Ambush
    On 25 June 1976, at age19, Raymond, along with two other Volunteers — Danny McGuinness and Paddy Quinn — were captured in a British army ambush. All three were sentenced to 14 years.

Raymond was part of a 4-person active service unit, who had gone to a farmyard in Sturgan to ambush a covert Brit observation post that they had located on the main Newry – Newtonhamilton Road. Masked and uniformed, the armed Volunteers were, however, observed from a covert British observation post.

As the fourth Volunteer drove the commandeered car down the road to act as a lure for the Brits, the other three moved into position. Upon attempting to return, the fourth Volunteer spotted the British Paratroopers on the hillside closing in on his unsuspecting comrades and opened fire to warn the others.

Immediately, the Brits opened fire, shooting the ground around the Volunteers with hundreds of rounds and firing indiscriminately into the nearby countryside.

Raymond and Paddy Quinn, under fire, ran for cover to a nearby house, but were immediately besieged by Paratroopers who riddled the house with bullets. Realising that they wouldn't have a hope of leaving the house alive, they phoned two priests to come and assist with their intended surrender. When one of the priests arrived and entered the house the men came out the front door with their hands above their head to indicate surrender, but the Paras opened fired forcing them to retreat back into the house.

After the arrival of the RUC, and the second priest, the two Volunteers again surrendered and were taken to Bessbrook barracks where they were questioned and beaten for three days before being charged.

Danny McGuinness, the third Volunteer, who had had taken cover in a disused quarry outhouse was captured in a follow-up operation the next day. The fourth Volunteer who had been struck by three bullets, in the leg, arm and chest, managed to crawl away and to elude the massive follow-up search. Catholic parish priest facilitated their surrender.[4][5]

[edit] Hunger strike
    On 2 March 1977, McCreesh and Paddy Quinn were convicted and sentenced to fourteen years in prison for attempted murder, possession of a rifle and ammunition and a further five year for IRA membership.[6][7]

One of the soldiers who captured them, Lance Corporal David Jones was later killed by Francis Hughes.

He joined the blanket protest and took part in the 1981 Irish Hunger Strike, dying after 61 days on hunger strike.

I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

Default Re: R.I.P Raymond McCreesh

Sad to hear R.I.P

May his memory live on, RIP brave soldier of Ireland.
    http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq19/crinnigan/ajxbp1.png

We can't sing about Connolly,
    We can't sing about Sands,
    Celtic Football Club, is in the wrong hands!

R.I.P Ray McReesh and R.I.P Patsy O'Hara, who also died on the 21st of May.

RIP comrades, two courageous Irish soldiers.

Semi-Benevolent Dictator Euskadi's Avatar

"God and Ireland don't forget, those ten brave men,"
    You've probably not even bought a share in your whole entire life
    ~~ Admitting Peter Lawwell into my consciousness since 2015 ~~

RIP Raymond McCreesh

Patsy O'Hara
    Died May 21st, 1981

A determined and courageous Derryman

Twenty-three-year-old Patsy O'Hara from Derry city, was the former leader of the Irish National Liberation Army prisoners in the H-Blocks, and joined IRA Volunteer Raymond McCreesh on hunger strike on March 22nd, three weeks after Bobby Sands and one week after Francis Hughes.

Patsy O'Hara was born on July 11th, 1957 at Bishop Street in Derry city.

RIP Vol. Patsy O'Hara