Thread: Maldini hangs up his boots

Default Maldini hangs up his boots

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8066004.stm

The year is 1985. Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev are figureheads of the cold war. At Heysel Stadium 39 spectators are killed at the European Cup final. Live Aid concerts raise £50m for victims of famine in Ethiopia. DNA is first used in a criminal case. Roger Moore steps down as James Bond. And a 16-year-old coltish defender with a famous name makes his debut for Milan at half-time in a Serie A match at Udinese.

He is the son of Cesare Maldini, a former European Cup-winning captain for the club. He trots on at half-time and glides through his overture on impressively long, strong, limbs. He looks calm, classy, eminently comfortable. Milan's fans reckon young Paolo is a chip off the old block. Some 25 seasons later, his footballing achievements beggar belief.

This weekend the 41-year-old pulls on the shirt of the club he joined at the age of 10 for the 901st time. With more than 1,000 professional matches under his belt – every single one of them in the rossonero of Milan or the azzurro of Italy – Maldini will make his farewell bow at San Siro. His career has cranked on and on, past so many milestones (they announced they would retire his No3 shirt several years ago) it is hard to know where to begin honouring the end. The club's official website has tried to sum it up with a simple tribute that has run all week long: 25 SEASONS. 900 GAMES. ALWAYS AND ONLY MILAN. GRAZIE PAOLO!

A quarter of a century in the first team of any club is a staggering enough feat. To do it at one of the world's elite teams, sweeping up five European Cup medals and seven Serie A titles along the way, sets a benchmark that looks unmatchable. To put it into perspective, 35-year-old Ryan Giggs would have to play on for Manchester United for another seven years to equal Maldini's length of service. Real Madrid's Raϊl, who turns 32 in the summer, will need to continue for another 10 years. This is a man who has won the European Cup in three different decades.

There will be no special party. It is his choice. He just wants to use the last two games of the season to say goodbye, first to the people who love him at San Siro, then to the greater family of Italian football with an away game at Fiorentina. The man has always done things with irresistible, understated charm.

And that is the real legacy of Maldini. The statistics only tell part of the story. They don't tell you anything about the elegance and gallantry with which he played. All the negative stereotypes of Italian defensive arts – niggling and pinching and sly shirt tugging – were unnecessary for Maldini. Probably the best left-back ever created played purely as well as powerfully.

He has so much going for him it is hard to know if he is more adored by the men or women of Italy. But Maldini has never been big-headed. Always professional. His reaction to his landmark 1,000th game (a 0–0 draw at Parma) said it all: "These are numbers which will remain in history – too bad we did not get the three points."

So what next for Il Capitano? Milan are almost certain to find a role for him within the club if he wants it. Likewise the Italian Football Federation. But he will take a well-deserved summer holiday. "I want to pull the plug out for a little while, at least until September. Only then will I think about what to do with my future." That is unlikely to be in coaching, though, which he describes as "the job which unites all the things that I don't like about football together".

The end of the fairytale? Not necessarily. The third generation of Milan's Maldini dynasty, Paolo's 13-year-old son Christian, plays for the club's junior ranks, and over one million people have viewed a video of his youngest, Daniel, effortlessly dispossessing Clarence Seedorf on YouTube.

If Paolo gets half as much contentment watching his boys as Cesare did, it won't just be Milan who are the lucky ones. Watching the recordman throughout his extraordinary career has been a pleasure for all of us.

Seems like forever the big man has been around, all the best to him.

Government (noun) Latin: Govern (control) Mente (mind) = Mind Control, Have a nice day.

Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar

Default Re: Maldini hangs up his boots

The comparison to Giggs and Raul really puts that into perspective. He's just a pure footballing legend. And the official, symbolic, and definite ending of an era for the dominating spell of AC Milan and, for that matter, Serie A as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Diegan View Post
    The comparison to Giggs and Raul really puts that into perspective. He's just a pure footballing legend. And the official, symbolic, and definite ending of an era for the dominating spell of AC Milan and, for that matter, Serie A as a whole.
    Agree. I've always admired him and the way he has conducted himself throughout his career is a credit to his family, club and country. The only thing I didn't like about that article is the line about retiring his number 3 shirt. I've always thought that was a stupid idea that doesn't really mean anything.

True legend, not just for Milan but for football as a whole. Fantastic player.
    http://www.board67.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=65&dateline=124621052  3

One of the greatest players of all time.

Respect.

Sad day for Italian football.I have to agree with the other posters, he was one of the best players that i ever seen and there was never any scandal involved with him.

But what did you make of his farewell from the 'ultras',,,there is only one capitano,with a big photo of Franko Baresi and nearly 30,000 walked out before his lap of honor and he got booed,unbelievable conduct for 24 years service!!!
    Last edited by Sheabhoy08; 01-06-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheabhoy08 View Post
    But what did you make of his farewell from the 'ultras',,,there is only one capitano,with a big photo of Franko Baresi and nearly 30,000 walked out before his lap of honor!!!
    That sounds really cold and disrespectful, why would they do that?

Just found this...

Maldini slams Milan boo boys

Paolo Maldini’s final San Siro match was marred by a protest from the fans. “I’m proud not to be one of them.”

The captain was making his last appearance in the stadium, his 901st in official competition for Milan, as he will hang up his boots at the end of the season.

The game with Roma began with the entire stadium holding up banners hailing the symbol of the Rossoneri for the past 24 years.

However, as he went to perform a lap of honour after the final whistle, a small group in the Curva Sud staged a protest.

They held up banners and chanted the name of Franco Baresi, who wore the armband before Maldini took over in 1997.

“There is only one captain,” said these supporters. The reaction clearly irritated Maldini, who left the field without giving interviews.

As he left the arena he only made one comment to the media referring to these protestors.

“I am proud not to be one of them.”

There was tension at San Siro as President Silvio Berlusconi was in the stands to watch a 3-2 defeat to Roma, which leaves automatic Champions League qualification in the balance.

Many more protests and banners were aimed at the patron, who is accused of not spending wisely on the transfer market.
    Why such hatred for Maldini?

Quote Originally Posted by Biffy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheabhoy08 View Post
    But what did you make of his farewell from the 'ultras',,,there is only one capitano,with a big photo of Franko Baresi and nearly 30,000 walked out before his lap of honor!!!
    That sounds really cold and disrespectful, why would they do that?
    He alway's publically slagged the ultra's off,saying they were'nt real Milan fans,the ultra's seem to think they own each and everyone of the players and that they personally made these players rich and famous and that they get fuckall in return from him,pretty poor form if you ask me,,by the way Biffy the ultra's can sometimes number up to half of the crowd at the san siro,and it has been known for them to boycott games,leaving milan playing in front of 25-35,000 punters!!

Mindboggling that they would act like that towards the man that has pretty much been the embodiment of their club for the last two decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Mac View Post
    Mindboggling that they would act like that towards the man that has pretty much been the embodiment of their club for the last two decades.
    Anow mate ,that's like us turning on Big Caesar,,,,no fucking way!!!!

all the best to him

What a player he was and sad when the greats retire.

He'd always be in the best 11 of my memories.

I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

But as a LB or a CB that i ask you?

Left back for me hooppymo,in a back line of ,,Tassoti, baresi,costacurta and maldini!!!