Thread: Strachan's speech

Default Strachan's speech

I thought it was great and it would have turned around anyone who never liked him. Didn't like him much myself but didn't mind him at the same time, thought the speech was brilliant though

I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

Default Re: Strachan's speech

I never heard it?

It was before the game he came out and spoke for a few minutes about Tommy and the support, he got a great reception.

Can't mind everything that was said but it was along the lines of when he came he never pretended to be a Celtic fan, he never kissed the badge he wanted to gain the respect of the fans and hope the fans respected what he was doing. And then that he said he heard the fans were the best in the World and wanted to find out if we were and then said you are the best fans in the world. Spoke about how when we go to other SPl games we need to pay more for tickets and all the prices of the local shops go up and he knows how it feels too. Was other stuff aswell but my memory isn't the best. Was a nice wee speech though. He then thanked Tommy, the fans the board and said I know what you think about the board but those guys have the club at heart and are working their hardest to make sure Celtic are trying to keep Celtic in a good position and make sure we're successful.

Probably be videos on Youtube of it tomorrow or something.
    Last edited by Batch_cfc; 31-05-2009 at 05:21 PM.

I didn't see it mate. But I'm glad he wasn't booed or anything when today was about respecting Tommy's memory.

That said, from your account of his speech, I don't believe a word he says.

No it was a great speech and he got a great reception when he first walked on and then as he left the pitch not one boo.

I live for Glasgow Celtic clagan's Avatar

tbf he spoke about what a great club we are, great fans and great staff from top to bottom. and that the club was like a family, and he enjoyed his time here
    http://i44.tinypic.com/121py55.png%5B/IMG%5D

Perhaps we'll find out the truth if he brings a book out lol. He wasn't going to slag the board off today of all days.

it was a great speech all credit to him

Quote Originally Posted by Batch_cfc View Post
    No it was a great speech and he got a great reception when he first walked on and then as he left the pitch not one boo.
    I didn't get into the stadium until just before kick off so I'm very relieved to read this.

Quote Originally Posted by metrobhoy2 View Post
    Perhaps we'll find out the truth if he brings a book out lol. He wasn't going to slag the board off today of all days.
    He already has a book out. It's a good read.
    Last edited by Hoopymo; 31-05-2009 at 09:37 PM.

guys for some reason my youtube is going crazy, if anyone can give me a link it would be appreciated.

How can a speech change your opinion on him? He never knew how big the club was or how important the fans are - hense his claim he is now a fan is laughable.

I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

It still wouldn't make me like him tbh.

i think he did it too not be hated.

Celtic Under 19s aidan_mcanespie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batch_cfc View Post
    I thought it was great and it would have turned around anyone who never liked him. Didn't like him much myself but didn't mind him at the same time, thought the speech was brilliant though
    I couldnt agree more Batch. His speech was very touching, no wonder he got massive cheers, well deserved. Ive never liked him much myself tbh but i still backed him and thanked him for his time. His speech in a way sort of changed my opinion on him, gonna miss the wee man! :p

Quote Originally Posted by CE View Post
    How can a speech change your opinion on him? He never knew how big the club was or how important the fans are - hense his claim he is now a fan is laughable.
    As far as I'm aware, he never once claimed to be a fan. Infact he said the opposite in saying something along the lines of, "he never intended to kiss the badge or scarf".

G.B.N.L

'Thing Inside So Strong Ryan 67's Avatar

When I first joined the club, I wanted to earn the respect of the Celtic supporters. I didn’t want to tell you I was a Celtic supporter as a kid, I didn’t want to kiss badges and I didn’t know the words to the Fields of Athenry.

“I wanted to earn the respect and vice versa, I wanted to see if you really were the best supporters in the world. From those four years, I found out that you are the best supporters in the world.

“I’d like to thank the supporters who I met personally, the real ones who I touched. They helped through the tough times and made it far easier for my family. I’ll always remember that.

“I didn’t kid you on that I could ever feel like a Celtic supporter when I was the manager because I couldn’t. I really couldn’t tell you what it feels like to watch Zombies win nine-in-a-row.

“I couldn’t tell you what it feels like to go to some awful grounds, where you are penned into a corner and the price of everything goes up when you go there. I don’t know what that feels like.

“But from today, I will start to feel it because I’m going to have to start paying my way from now on. From today, I’ve become a Celtic supporter.

“I’d like to thank everybody at Celtic. The players were magnificent to work with and I’d like to thank the board. They have been magnificent and they are doing everything they can to help the club be successful. They were fantastic to me.

“If I could sum it all up like this – since I started out in football at 15, every decision I made, and some have been bad, I wouldn’t change it for the world. Because if I changed one of those decisions, I would not have been the Celtic manager and that would be hard. Thank you.”

Fittingly, the ex-Celtic boss also reserved a special word for his close friend Tommy Burns. The tribute match ended in an 11-4 win for the current Celtic team against a select side consisting of a host of Hoops legends.

He said: “I came here to be the Celtic manager but I was lucky enough to become the best of friends with the nicest man I’ve ever met in my life.

“We had some great times at this club over the last four years. We had smashing European nights, we won championships and did great things together. Tommy helped me more than anybody.

“If it hadn’t been for Tommy, my life wouldn’t have been as funny as it was and we wouldn’t have had as much success as we did.”
    There's exactly what he said, I thought it was pretty good. Although some of it was a load of pish !!
    Last edited by Ryan 67; 01-06-2009 at 10:26 AM.

"When you pull on that jersey you're not just playing for a football club, you're playing for a people and a cause"

God Bless Mr Celtic

tbf that is a pretty good speech. See you wee man.

I think what he said was pretty good, and it was pretty big of him to come back to pay his respects and say his thanks and stuff.

He seems to be speaking from the heart, and theres no reason for him not to lie, cause it doesnt matter anymore, if thats not what he felt he would have just avoided the subject and thanked the fans, players and Tommy and walked off the park.

I think its a bit cynical to say the guys lying, when for all you know hes telling everyone exactly how he feels. How many ex players have said they have an affinity for the club when they leave? How many ex-managers still speak of the club and fans with great affection? How many players have said there time at Celtic was the best time of there lives?

This club gets under your skin once you are involved, and its hard to get rid of that !!