Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you were the new manager....

Default If you were the new manager....

When you first came into the club and looked at the players, who would you name as Captain?

My Heid tells me Caldwell but I'd love to see Brown as a midfield leader with armband like Keane was with Man Utd. Plus we might get a few more years out of him without the want for a move.

Of course the new gaffer may sign a Skipper also.

Default Re: If you were the new manager....

Caldwell for me too.

I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

Caldini for me

the man with the massive Heid

All I'm going to say is that I'd do 20 other things before I picked a captain. Get rid of Naylor, McManus and Samaras to name a few.

I wil miss sammy, hes beautiful

new captain probably should be Heid, but I said before I would like to see brown have a go, I think hes more passionate, but maybe a bit too aggressive

Cheers Cashy!!!

I think with Browns aggression, maybe once he learns to control that, I think maybe he could be a future Celtic captain. Lots of maturing to do so in the mean time Heid for me.

Celtic Under 19s aidan_mcanespie's Avatar

Caldwell, no doubt about it.

Fantastic Expectations... Squire's Avatar

I'd give it to Aiden

'IF YOU GET TIRED, OF JUST HANGIN AROUND
    PICK UP A GUITAR, AND SPIN A WEB OF SOUND'

Celtic Under 19s aidan_mcanespie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    I'd give it to Aiden
    I was thinking that, more i thought about it, no chance.

He cant handle the pressure and it doesnt take alot for him to go off in 1.

IMO.

I'd give it to Aiden

You're better giving to a player who's going to start every game when fit.

His form has been dreadful for about a year now and what kind of a Captain gets smacked about from their team mates or falls out with the manager lol?

Show us your Shareen SwoopingVulture's Avatar

Unless Mick leaves then Mick as it wouldn't help the changingroom in any way taking the captaincy from one centre back and giving it to the other.

It doesn't matter who is captain. Look at the CL final. Puyol is captain of Barca but doesn't get a regular start and Gary Neville is captain of Man Utd. Folk have some romantic Roy of the Rovers view of what a captain does, but all of you will know that when you're playing 11s you don't look to your captain for inspiration or anything.

The most important thing the modern captain can do is conduct himself well in press conferences, on off field duties, such as visiting kids in hospitals, and in not being on the front pages of newspapers for being leathered. You have to agree that Mick has done all of these things in an exemplary manner. He is always communicative and respectful in interviews (ahem WGS) and provides a positive image of the club to the world's press.

I have no doubt that Caldwell could do the same job, but why disturb the changingroom in that manner? If the new manager doesn't want to play Mick then he'll have to transfer him. It is not fair on a good pro to be stripped of the captaincy for no real reason. Having heard Scott Brown being interviewed before, having seen how he behaves on the pitch and having read about his nights out in newspapers i think he would be an awful Celtic captain.

Fantastic Expectations... Squire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by metrobhoy2 View Post
    I'd give it to Aiden

You're better giving to a player who's going to start every game when fit.

His form has been dreadful for about a year now and what kind of a Captain gets smacked about from their team mates or falls out with the manager lol?
    How did i know you were goanny bite? hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by SwoopingVulture View Post
    Unless Mick leaves then Mick as it wouldn't help the changingroom in any way taking the captaincy from one centre back and giving it to the other.

It doesn't matter who is captain. Look at the CL final. Puyol is captain of Barca but doesn't get a regular start and Gary Neville is captain of Man Utd. Folk have some romantic Roy of the Rovers view of what a captain does, but all of you will know that when you're playing 11s you don't look to your captain for inspiration or anything.

The most important thing the modern captain can do is conduct himself well in press conferences, on off field duties, such as visiting kids in hospitals, and in not being on the front pages of newspapers for being leathered. You have to agree that Mick has done all of these things in an exemplary manner. He is always communicative and respectful in interviews (ahem WGS) and provides a positive image of the club to the world's press.

I have no doubt that Caldwell could do the same job, but why disturb the changingroom in that manner? If the new manager doesn't want to play Mick then he'll have to transfer him. It is not fair on a good pro to be stripped of the captaincy for no real reason. Having heard Scott Brown being interviewed before, having seen how he behaves on the pitch and having read about his nights out in newspapers i think he would be an awful Celtic captain.

Good post SV. Can't really disagree either. Couple of things I'd say though is that McManus' form has dipped since he took over the captaincy and I do like the Roy of the Rovers idea but I take your point.

Being a Captain does add pressure and I think the fans are getting on Mick's back more because they don't see him as a leader. I also think he's more of a Paul Lambert type who was also a good captain, who the players would have to respect on and off the park for immaculate behaviour compared to the others.

all i need to say is i have no problem with browns temper infact i love it lol ye cant beat a player that dives in on tackles thats what i want from our players, and for captain i would play big bobo and make him captain even if he isnt good enough for the job he's some man and great to watch lol

Another page set up by a group calling themselves the "Killowen Young Republicans" promises to "protect the Republican communities from the PSNI, hoods and most of all loyalists." The group's photo album contains numerous images of youths in balaclavas posing with a range of republican flags as well as a handguns and automatic weapons.

Show us your Shareen SwoopingVulture's Avatar

Being a Captain does add pressure and I think the fans are getting on Mick's back more because they don't see him as a leader. I also think he's more of a Paul Lambert type who was also a good captain, who the players would have to respect on and off the park for immaculate behaviour compared to the others.
    I know what you mean about the added pressure of captaincy. He carried Caldwell for a couple of seasons and then it swapped around and Heid has been carrying him. If, however, he ca get back to his best then we'd have a formidable partnership. I just don't think taking the captaincy away from him would help his confidence unless he asked for it to be done.

all i need to say is i have no problem with browns temper infact i love it lol ye cant beat a player that dives in on tackles thats what i want from our players, and for captain i would play big bobo and make him captain even if he isnt good enough for the job he's some man and great to watch lol
    Every team needs a couple of nutters. Maybe not as captain though!

a suppose lol having a crazy captain would be fun all the same, id go to more games just to see his antics lol

has to be scott brown for me!!!!

broony for me aswell

Has to be Caldwell.

First thing I'd do is get rid of Sammy and Jan for a start and then tell Lawwell ''Get me a good striker now you tight prick''