Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Owen Coyle

Default Celtic chief met Coyle in London on Monday

OWEN COYLE was today weighing up his future after a meeting with Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell.

SportTimes understands discussions between the pair took place at a hotel in London's Mayfair on Monday night.

The Parkhead board are desperate to land the highly rated manager and will now approach Burnley to officially open talks to take the 42-year-old to Celtic Park.

Coyle is thought to be torn between having a crack at the Premiership after winning promotion and taking up what he feels is a once in a lifetime' opportunity at the club he supported as a boy.
    advertisement

It's believed Celtic would NOT have to pay a huge compensation fee for Coyle as part of the current two-year deal he has in place at the Lancashire club.

However, the former St Johnstone boss - who is thought to be earning 140,000-a-year - is set to bank over 500,000 in bonus money for leading the club to the top flight which will be paid over the course of next season.

Any package from Celtic would need to take this into account.

Burnley, as expected, do not want to lose the man who surprised most by leading them to promotion from the Coca-Cola championship and chairman Barry Kilby insists he has no desire to cash in on their manager.

He said: "Owen is contracted to us. He has another two years to run and we are going to talk about an extension to that. I think Burnley will want to stay with Owen Coyle and Owen Coyle will want to stay with Burnley.

"Owen is our manager and that is the end of the matter."

With his family holiday abroad set to begin on Saturday, Coyle will want his future sorted out one way or another before the weekend.

The Parkhead board are thought to have drawn up a list of candidates they could quickly turn to should their bid to appoint Coyle prove unsuccessful, but at this stage it seems highly likely he will be Celtic's next manager.

Publication date 27/05/09
    link

Very, very interesting indeed.

Default Re: Celtic chief met Coyle in London on Monday

tbh he is the ebst out of the scottish managers we are after

Radio Clyde have just announced that Coyle has been offered the job !

Show us your Shareen SwoopingVulture's Avatar

Great news, no fannying about. We need the man in place asap.

Agreed, the sooner we get him in the better.

Fantastic Expectations... Squire's Avatar

Could be paper talk but it could very well be true and i wouldn't doubt the meeting took place. The only question is does he follow his heart and come here or stick it out in the Prem with the gold?

The more the story is building up the more confident i am of us getting his signature. I think he would be a fantastic appointment i remember after the final game of the 07/08 season when he was with St Johnstone, they just got pipped to promotion and no more and his interview after the game was absolutely immaculate, he has charisma flowing right out of him and he said all the right things in the right manner, calm as you like.

All the pundits on snide 1 had immense praise for the guy and the way he conducted himself that day, and that is the kind of confidence and self-belief that we disparately need the now.

I hope to fuck we get him man, by far and away the best candidate.

'IF YOU GET TIRED, OF JUST HANGIN AROUND
    PICK UP A GUITAR, AND SPIN A WEB OF SOUND'

'Thing Inside So Strong Ryan 67's Avatar

He has until Friday to decide whether to take the job or not.

"When you pull on that jersey you're not just playing for a football club, you're playing for a people and a cause"

God Bless Mr Celtic

Would be a great move for the club and hopefully he'd have ALL the fans behind him, if he came. Can't say that about many of the other names floating about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan 67 View Post
    How do you know that?

Quote Originally Posted by SwoopingVulture View Post
    How do you know that?
    My mate's brother knows the Burns family who have got Coyle's family tickets for the game on Sunday. The Coyle's have told the Burns and it's been passed on..

How do you know that?
    My mate's brother knows the Burns family who have got Coyle's family tickets for the game on Sunday. The Coyle's have told the Burns and it's been passed on..

Hush hush wink wink.

How do you know that?

It's good having connections eh?

Levein on SSN saying he is an ambitious guy and would like to manage at the highest level but would rather not talk about it.

No offence to Coyle, but I'd rather see Bilic taking the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhoys Dont Cry View Post
    How do you know that?

It's good having connections eh?
    I don't know them myself tbh. I didn't even know my mates brother did either but I phoned up my mate to tell him Coyle had been offered the job and he told me the story.

If Celtic don't go out and get Billic after he has declared his interest then the entire board should be sacked.

Going for Owen Coyle instead of Billic screams a lack of ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghod View Post
    If Celtic don't go out and get Billic after he has declared his interest then the entire board should be sacked.

Dunno, i'd rather have Coyle tbh. He has good experience at managing a club and knows what Celtic is about. Billic has no club experience, has done okay with Croatia, and that is it. I mean, beating a Mclaren managed England is hardly what i'd base giving him the Celtic job.

Dunno, i'd rather have Coyle tbh. He has good experience at managing a club and knows what Celtic is about. Billic has no club experience, has done okay with Croatia, and that is it. I mean, beating a Mclaren managed England is hardly what i'd base giving him the Celtic job.
    You would rather have Owen Coyle than Slaven Billic :confused:

Righteo then

It's because they think the fans want a "Celtic minded" manager.

Righteo then
    Would you care to elaborate there? I think SV gave some good reasons against Bilic.

Righteo then
    Give me one shred of evidence that he can manage a club? Many coaches who were decent as international managers have failed at club level, it takes a different type of quality. Van Basten and Klinnsman are recent examples of young coaches who were appointed to be national coach with no experience, were pretty successful, and then fell flat on their faces when put under the scrutiny of club management. It is not as if Billic coached Croatia to win the world cup or anything is it?

Billic might be a bigger name than Coyle but he doesn't know what it takes to run a club day in day out. He hasn't had to motivate players to play a league match in January in Falkirk when it's pishing down. He doesn't know the Scottish game. The culture.

Everything you hear about Coyle, and i've kept an ear open as i thought the Celtic job might be available this summer, is incredibly positive. His enthusiasm, his energy, his tactical ability. The number of times he has managed to beat much bigger teams, in England and Scotland is striking.

I wouldn't mind Billic but i think it is an awful big gamble to take him. I don't like gambling with my club's future.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast