Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The word "hun"

Default The word "hun"

We all know the word "hun" is not sectarian in itself when describing Scotlands Shame fans, and they used to sing "go home ya huns" to us in the 50s and early 60s. My understanding of it is that hun was another term for enemy, rather than having any religious connotations.

However the term in Ireland has been used long before we started using it, the British in Ireland had been called huns.

Couple of examples

"while Britannia's huns with their long range guns sailed in through the foggy dew...."

"while returning some guns Billy (Reid) met British huns and he died on the streets of Belfast...."

Obviously in the o6 and all over Ireland, a lot of people use it as a word for unionists or even protestants in general.

So..... what is your definition of a hun?
    Last edited by Ghod; 27-05-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Default Re: The word "hun"

i think the description of the british in ireland as marauding barbarians (huns) is fairly apt.

Quote Originally Posted by caoimhin View Post
    i think the description of the british in ireland as marauding barbarians (huns) is fairly apt.
    Barbaric is exactly what I connect it with.

As far as im concerned, when calling Zombies Huns, I'm calling them barbaric animals with no clear thought. As in atila the hun.

I live for Glasgow Celtic clagan's Avatar

my first encounter with it was the germans during WW1. seems to be able to describe any enemy tbh

Quote Originally Posted by clagan View Post
    my first encounter with it was the germans during WW1. seems to be able to describe any enemy tbh
    i think its more to do with an enemy that doesn't respect the rules of war.the actual huns weren't nearly as barbaric as people in europe claimed ,they just had different ways of waging war

I live for Glasgow Celtic clagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clagan View Post
    i think its more to do with an enemy that doesn't respect the rules of war.the actual huns weren't nearly as barbaric as people in europe claimed ,they just had different ways of waging war

sums up the brits pretty well then

Semi-Benevolent Dictator Euskadi's Avatar

Makes perfect sense to call Unionists, Pro-Brits and Zombies fans Huns.

I've never heard it used as a word to refer to Protestants. It just happens that a majority of the aforementioned are Protestant, but that's their own fault for being so bigoted that they don't welcome anyone else (as opposed to Republicanism and Celtic FC who both had many Protestants in their ranks).

Funnily enough though, I've been banned on a few non-football websites for using it. Once because the mod thought I was talking about "the entire German race" and, even better, another time because they said Hun was "an offensive word for the Chinese" lol.

Just to add, I don't think we've EVER been in trouble for singing "He hates the Huns" or "makes the Huns look shite", have we?

I would agree mate!!

I've always just defined it as 'the enemy'.

Government (noun) Latin: Govern (control) Mente (mind) = Mind Control, Have a nice day.

is this area just for a certain amount of members???
    anyway my definition of a hun is a scummy bastard!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MickyBhoy1888 View Post
    He never said that......He said Jock Stein was great etc etc and he won Ten consecutive titles with Celtic.
    he doesnt say say in a row
    I have gone over this before with a Muppet on EA

No mate it's just for serious discussion, as opposed to The Craic House which is for anything.

Huns for me are the neanderthal, knuckledragging, bottom feeding hooligans that support a certain cesspit of a club.

In no way is it sectarian or bigotted because I dont class all protestants as huns, just the wankers that support that vile club
    "Celtic is important to me in as much as it's one of the only constants in my life over the years. I have changed and become various things but it is the one constant. Religion, friendships have come and gone, likes and dislikes have come and gone, but Celtic has remained." - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by green_t View Post
    Huns for me are the neanderthal, knuckledragging, bottom feeding hooligans that support a certain cesspit of a club.

In no way is it sectarian or bigotted because I dont class all protestants as huns, just the wankers that support that vile club
    exactly

i know a few catholic huns.never even thought about it in religious terms tbh

Was it not something to do with their Nazi connections, no ?
    http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq19/crinnigan/ajxbp1.png

We can't sing about Connolly,
    We can't sing about Sands,
    Celtic Football Club, is in the wrong hands!

I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

Nah hun's is an realistically ancient term going back to atilla the hun etc, then it was a name for the germans and it's basically known as an enemy now i could call North korea hun's and depending on my ideals i could be right.

i rememebr reading about a newspaper calling them like huns after their behaviour in newcastle.. i cant find the link sorry. but i believe thats where hun comes from

Alright sound mate

My definition of "hun" is nothing more than a Zombies supporter.

Huns to me means Zombies fans in general. Or Loyalists.