Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martinez in the frame for Celts

Default Martinez in the frame for Celts

SWANSEA CITY boss Roberto Martinez last night emerged as a shock contender for the Celtic hotseat.

SunSport can reveal that the 36-year-old rising star is highly thought of by the Hoops hierarchy.

The ex-Motherwell midfielder has impressed in his debut role in charge of the Welsh club, who finished eighth in the Championship.

Now the Spaniard is a dark horse contender as Celtic ponder their options after SunSport exclusively broke the news of GordonStrachan's departure on Monday.

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell is in Rome for tonight's Champions League Final but behind the scenes the process to replace Strachan is gathering pace.

Burnley's Owen Coyle and West Brom boss Tony Mowbray are in Celtic's thoughts alongside ex-West Ham gaffer Alan Curbishley.

Motherwell boss Mark McGhee and Dundee United's Craig Levein are also in the frame.

Ipswich chief Roy Keane is being pondered too while many people's top choice, Everton's David Moyes, looks settled in the Premiership.

Martinez is now an intriguing option as West Brom warn Celtic to forget about a move to tempt their former defender Mowbray back to Parkhead.

Just 24 hours after Burnley told the Hoops to keep their hands off boss Coyle, the Baggies have issued a similar warning.

Celtic's majority shareholder Dermot Desmond is weighing up a formal approach in a bid to secure Mogga's services.

But West Brom have told Celts they are wasting their time.

A spokesman for the Midlands club insisted last night: "Tony is under contract for the next two years. We fully expect him to be our manager next season."

Mowbray, 45, is greatly admired at Parkhead - not only for his performances as a player, but for the way he handled the tragic death of his first wife Bernadette through cancer.

West Brom would seek around £1million in compensation if the former Hibs boss was to be prised away.

Mowbray led the Baggies up into the Premiership in his first full season in charge last term.

But they were relegated from the top flight for the third time in seven years earlier this month.
    Fucking hope not.

Default Re: Martinez in the frame for Celts

Another one??? They are slinging everyone at us, so they can say they got it right when we eventually do decide !!!

For me, not Martinez thank you very much. The only name mentioned that gets me excited is Moyes, but we know thats not happening. I think hes lined up for the Man U job after Ferguson quits anyway.

I live for Glasgow Celtic clagan's Avatar

he'll be an excellent coach in a few years once he's learned his trdae but he wont be learning it at celtic park

Fantastic Expectations... Squire's Avatar

Not a chance we'll be looking at this guy, i very much doubt we'd be looking at any foreign coach and we are it would be Bilic.

'IF YOU GET TIRED, OF JUST HANGIN AROUND
    PICK UP A GUITAR, AND SPIN A WEB OF SOUND'

Show us your Shareen SwoopingVulture's Avatar

Not for me, Swansea have done well but i'd compare them with the achievements of Coyle and he isn't in the ballgame.

No
    I like the guy but wouldn't want him at celtic
    "Football without the fans is nothing"
    "Celtic Football Club is the fans, without them there is no club."

WE'VE WON THE LEAGUE AGAIN.. FLY THE FLAG, FLY THE FLAG!

BBC says it's official, we want to talk to him!

Not too sure about this one, could work out either way tbh.

Celtic want Swans boss Martinez

Swans boss Roberto Martinez has been linked with several managerial jobs
    Celtic have made an official approach for Swansea City boss Roberto Martinez.

Swansea confirmed to BBC Sport Wales that the Scottish giants have asked to speak to Martinez about becoming Gordon Strachan's successor at Celtic Park.

"I had a call off their chief executive [Peter Lawwell] making me aware that they'd like to talk to Roberto," said Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins.

"Like I've always done I refused that until I've spoken to Roberto myself and talked things through."

Martinez, one of British football's youngest managers at 35, has earned rave reviews for his handling of Swansea.

Promotion from League One was followed last season by a highly creditable eighth-place finish in their first year back at Championship level.

That success has been achieved through an exciting brand of attacking, skilful football that has seen the Spaniard linked with managerial jobs at the likes of Wigan and Real Sociedad, while Reading are also thought to be admirers.

Martinez is on holiday in Ibiza at the moment but Jenkins expects his prize asset to be back at the Liberty Stadium later this week.

"I'll probably speak to him [Martinez] between now and Wednesday but later on in the week he'll be back home to run through his thoughts with me," Jenkins added.

"First and foremost it's about his position here and how we see that, and we'll consider all that first before any sort of what else he may do.

"I think you've got to respect... what type of club Celtic are and what opportunities exist - perhaps not in the [Scottish Premier] League but certainly in the Champions League - and the size of the club.

"Naturally I suppose that interest would require anybody to sit and consider their position.

"It's basically up to him how he sees it, I think there's certainly no possibility in us forcing any issue.

606: DEBATE
    His girlfriend is Scottish... he's getting married in the summer. Very worrying indeed

CarmarthenJack22
    "Roberto has got to consider his future and where his commitment lies."

Martinez is no stranger to football north of the border, having played for Motherwell in the 2001/2 season, while his long-term girlfriend is Scottish.

Strachan, who left Celtic Park last week after four years at the helm, is believed to have recommended Motherwell's Mark McGhee as his successor.

Everton manager David Moyes has ruled out any return to Scotland at the moment.

But Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has expressed his interest in the vacancy, while West Brom's Tony Mowbray and Burnley's Owen Coyle are also thought to be candidates.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the World will know peace.

- Jimi Hendrix.

My cousin and uncle have been telling me since January that this was going to happen, after he appaerently came up for a match and a meeting with Peter Lawell.

It's the kind of story you just ignore until you see a source, but hats off to them, they got it right.

Show us your Shareen SwoopingVulture's Avatar

Default We want Martinez!

BBC website:

Celtic want Swans boss Martinez

Celtic have made an official approach for Swansea City boss Roberto Martinez.

Swansea confirmed to BBC Sport Wales that the Scottish giants have asked to speak to Martinez about becoming Gordon Strachan's successor at Celtic Park.

"I had a call off their chief executive [Peter Lawwell] making me aware that they'd like to talk to Roberto," said Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins.

"Like I've always done I refused that until I've spoken to Roberto myself and talked things through."

Martinez, one of British football's youngest managers at 35, has earned rave reviews for his handling of Swansea.

Promotion from League One was followed last season by a highly creditable eighth-place finish in their first year back at Championship level.

That success has been achieved through an exciting brand of attacking, skilful football that has seen the Spaniard linked with managerial jobs at the likes of Wigan and Real Sociedad, while Reading are also thought to be admirers.

Martinez is on holiday in Ibiza at the moment but Jenkins expects his prize asset to be back at the Liberty Stadium later this week.

"I'll probably speak to him [Martinez] between now and Wednesday but later on in the week he'll be back home to run through his thoughts with me," Jenkins added.

"First and foremost it's about his position here and how we see that, and we'll consider all that first before any sort of what else he may do.

"I think you've got to respect... what type of club Celtic are and what opportunities exist - perhaps not in the [Scottish Premier] League but certainly in the Champions League - and the size of the club.

"Naturally I suppose that interest would require anybody to sit and consider their position.

"It's basically up to him how he sees it, I think there's certainly no possibility in us forcing any issue.

CarmarthenJack22

"Roberto has got to consider his future and where his commitment lies."

Martinez is no stranger to football north of the border, having played for Motherwell in the 2001/2 season, while his long-term girlfriend is Scottish.

Strachan, who left Celtic Park last week after four years at the helm, is believed to have recommended Motherwell's Mark McGhee as his successor.

Everton manager David Moyes has ruled out any return to Scotland at the moment.

But Croatia coach Slaven Bilic has expressed his interest in the vacancy, while West Brom's Tony Mowbray and Burnley's Owen Coyle are also thought to be candidates.

Well it would certainly be better than McGhee.

Wouldn't be the the worst choice to be honest, he does look talented since he brought them up from league one and pushed for a playoff position. We'd also be likely get our hands on Jordi Gomez who looks talented.

Swansea Chairman on Celtic's official approach for Martinez...

I refused permission until I speak with Martinez and talk things through

'Thing Inside So Strong Ryan 67's Avatar

Wouldn't have been my first choice but I'd be quite happy with the appointment.

"When you pull on that jersey you're not just playing for a football club, you're playing for a people and a cause"

God Bless Mr Celtic

He's one of the better managers we are being linked with IMO. I think he would get us playing some really good football.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    He's one of the better managers we are being linked with IMO. I think he would get us playing some really good football.
    Yeah and it's not like young Spanish managers haven't been successful recently

I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

Does anyone know any particularly impressive signings he's made apart from jordi gomez and jason scotland?

Quote Originally Posted by hoopymo View Post
    Does anyone know any particularly impressive signings he's made apart from jordi gomez and jason scotland?
    He signed Ferrie Bodde who's been intresting Premiership teams (and scored a cracker from the halfway line) and Angel Rangel who's a good right-back, great at going forward. Not bad to get those 4 for under £100k

I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

Sounds like our boards kinda guy.

From the Scotsman, I'm not completely against this guy, he's done well in League 1 & the Championship, Leeds are still in League 1 after 2 seasons there...he's really young, but I think he has bags of style & confidence.

Respected and cultured, Martinez could prove a real coup for Celtic

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryPublished Date: 02 June 2009
    By Alan Pattullo
    HE HAS distinguished himself as a football pundit and has no past association with Celtic.
    The Parkhead board could be accused of same old, same old as they make efforts to name Roberto Martinez as successor to Gordon Strachan, whose performances on Match of the Day 2 earned him a reputation as an entertaining studio guest.

But MartinezADVERTISEMENT deserves to be compared to fellow Catalan Pep Guardiola, the young, intelligent and, most importantly, successful manager of Barcelona. Like him, Martinez has developed a reputation as an advocate of stylish, passing football. Having first agreed to become Sky's regular Spanish football expert in 1999 it is hard to believe Martinez is not 36 until next month. The similarly precocious Guardiola is just 38.

They represent a new breed of football manager. Martinez, although clearly operating at a different level to Guardiola, has achieved eye-opening success in his short spell in charge at Swansea. He has said he has been preparing for his opportunity in management since he was a boy. His father, also Roberto, managed Spanish lower division sides Lerida and Balaguer. He used to bring his son into the dressing room with him.

"You are both with it or you are not," Martinez junior later said of football management. "I was born with it. It is all I have known since I was a little boy."
    His time with Swansea has been marked by a rapid improvement in the club's fortunes. He replaced Kenny Jackett as manager during the last months of the 2006-07 season. They easily won the championship in the Spaniard's first full season in charge and narrowly failed to make the play-off places in their first Championship campaign.

It has proved a powerful first entry on his managerial CV. Jackett released Martinez as a player from Swansea in 2006 and the Spaniard signed for Chester City. Jackett's decision to let him go hit the player hard. When asked to comment on subsequent speculation linking him with jobs elsewhere Martinez often reflected on this difficult moment in his career. "Swansea forced me out as a player and they will have to force me out as manager," he said. The comment may not provide Celtic with much encouragement as they seek to recruit his services. Martinez has four years left of his contract and has always advised players to be loyal to the club.

He has, however, felt the impact of a club reneging on an agreement. He was made redundant by Motherwell in April 2002 when the club fell into interim administration. The midfielder had played only 16 times for the Fir Park side, then under the management of Eric Black.

He made only one appearance against Celtic, when coming on for the last minute of a 2-1 defeat at Fir Park. He was an unused substitute on the two other occasions the teams met that season. Martinez's spell in Scotland was not an entirely unhappy one since he met his long-term girlfriend when at Fir Park. This summer she will become his wife.

It is one reason why he has kept up with the Scottish scene since his departure from Motherwell. Swansea's success has been built on the capture of goalkeeper Dorus De Vries from Dunfermline and St Johnstone's Jason Scotland. Martinez has also secured the services of Stephen Dobbie from Queen of the South for next season's promotion push.

Martinez's assistant Graeme Jones is another with connections to Scotland. The former striker played for St Johnstone, Clyde and Hamilton Accies but met Martinez during their time together at Wigan Athletic. When Martinez asked Jones to join him at Swansea he was assistant to Billy Reid at Hamilton.

Jones was reluctant to leave the then First Division club but was convinced by Martinez. "He can go as high and as far as he wants," said the impressed Jones afterwards. The compliments have rained down on the Spaniard ever since he arrived in Britain in 1995, following a serendipitous meeting with Wigan chairman Dave Whelan in Spain.

Martinez made his La Liga debut for Real Zaragoza v Atletico Madrid in 1993 but by the time Whelan met him he was back at local club, Balaguer. Whelan, the owner of JJB Sports, was in Zaragoza to open a sports shop and brought back not only Martinez, but also compatriots Isidra Diaz and Jesus Seba. They were Wigan's version of the "Three Amigos", a phrase later in vogue at Celtic as owner Fergus McCann fought with the contract demands of Pierre van Hooijdonk, Jorge Cadete and Paolo Di Canio. Martinez, a tee-totaller, grew to become an ambassador for Wigan, as well as being a symbol of the uncelebrated club's new sense of ambition. He struck on his debut against Gillingham and became the first Spaniard to score in the FA Cup. In 2004 was named the club's all-time cult hero following a poll organised by the BBC's Football Focus programme, he was known as 'Bob' and inspired the appearance of sombreros in the stands and shouts of 'Ole!' from fans. As one fan noted: "If you've ever been to Wigan you will know that is quite a feat".

Martinez helped Wigan go from the Third Division to First but was released by Steve Bruce in 2001. Bruce himself left the club for Crystal Palace days later. The crazily paved path of football sees the men linked again. Bruce's impending departure to Sunderland, following a second spell at Wigan, has opened the door for Martinez to make a return to the club where he is a genuine hero. He has also been linked with a return to Spain with Real Sociedad.

These rival challenges for his signature could be Celtic's biggest obstacle as they attempt to bring Martinez back to Scotland, something chief executive Peter Lawwell seemed to anticipate when making an early morning call to Swansea yesterday seeking permission to speak to the highly-rated Spaniard.

Not my first choice but i wouldnt be dissapointed, its time to forget about getting a big name, the board wont want anyone coming in throwing their weight around

Its the type of manager the board would go for, in fairness he may over achieve as he plays good football which is nice to see.

However I hope the boards lack of ambition does not rub off on the players.