Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strach had a gutful of the fans who hated him

Default Strach had a gutful of the fans who hated him

GORDON STRACHAN simply couldn't take any more.

The internet messageboard abuse. The phone-in rants.

The bile which made him feel sick to the stomach.

He didn't always read it for himself or hear what was said.

But after four long years, enough was enough for the Celtic manager who knew he was DESPISED.

John Hartson witnessed it from the beginning and has now seen it come to an end.

The career of a Hated Celt.

Strachan forever insisted he easily dismissed the criticism and ignored the vitriol.

But Hoops legend Hartson insists it's the fans' flack which has driven him out of the club.

He said: "Let's be honest here, the supporters have got what they wanted.

"I think it became increasingly difficult for Gordon to work under the circumstances he found himself in at Celtic.

"That's what I've seen from his body language in the last six months.

"At the end of the day we all want to be loved. No one wants to feel they aren't wanted and for me Gordon simply reached a stage where enough was enough for him.

"When you're hated by the people you work for - the fans - then there comes a point where you reach breaking point.

"Gordon has basically had a gutful. In a strange way I think it actually became difficult for the supporters as well.

"Although they wanted to get behind the club they didn't want to get behind Gordon.

"It was a double-edged sword. Although they were absolutely devastated at losing the title on Sunday, I think there would have been en element hoping that if there was any good outcome from the weekend it would be Gordon leaving.

"They've got what they wanted - they'll be glad to see the back of him.

"And that's the reason it's come to this.

"Gordon decided enough's enough.

"There is no other reason Gordon has left Celtic.

"It's because of the fans. If he was idolised by the supporters in the way Martin O'Neill was, he'd still be in charge. No question.

"It simply got to the stage where Gordon knew he was knocking his head against a brick wall where they were concerned.

"Put it this way, I speak to Celtic supporters every day and in the last four years I've not met ONE who said they liked him.

Advertisement

"Not only that, they didn't particularly WANT to like him either. They didn't even want to give him a chance.

"That's how they felt and it was never going to change."

Since Strachan swept into the Celtic hotseat in June 2005 NOTHING has changed in his relationship with the fans.

They hated him then and they hated him at the end.

Hartson added: "Gordon would have seen it from day one and inside hoped it would get better with time.

"For periods it DID ease off, just slightly, but it was never healed.

"Gordon Strachan and the Celtic supporters just never went together, right from day one.

"In four years I think I heard them sing his name twice. That's up to them at the end of the day. It's not for anyone else to tell them who they should and shouldn't like.

"It's up to them who they bring into the circle.

"I have a fantastic rapport with the supporters, but Gordon just never got close.

"He wasn't their idea of what a Celtic manager should be but that doesn't make them bad supporters."

Hartson played for Strachan the manager. He knows the man.

Two characters he would share his time with any day of the week.

He added: "You couldn't wish to meet a nicer fella.

"He sat next to me at my tribute dinner a few weeks ago and he was tremendous company - as I've always found him to be.

"We've played golf together in the past and it's been great.

"We've been friends for a number of years now going back to our time together at Coventry, nine or ten years ago.

"He was hugely influential in my career.

"The way I left Celtic in the end wasn't ideal but I never held him responsible.

"It was down to me because as a footballer it's all down to performing and towards the end I wasn't at my best.

"I never lost any respect for Gordon and I'd go as far to say I like him a lot.

"Away from all the football he's a top bloke.

"He's a family man who loves nothing more than spending time with his wife, kids and grandchildren.

"He thinks the world of his family like the rest of us. For me he can leave Celtic with his head held high after four fantastic years.

"He's earned his own place in the club's history with the trophies he's won."

Celtic must now find a replacement - and Hartson reckons that's EASY given the pull the club has.

He added: "Celtic will move on. The club is bigger than anyone. There isn't a man alive the size of Celtic football club.

"Managers, players, board members, chairmen and chief executives all move on.

"But the club will always be there with the support.

"For me you can't leave Celtic for a better job. There isn't a better position in world football in my opinion.

"It is the pinnacle of club management.

"After you leave Celtic you can only go downhill.

"Okay, if you went to another club you could have more money to spend on players and earn more for yourself."

"Celtic is up there on a par with Manchester United, Real Madrid and Liverpool.

"They have the greatest supporters in the world, an unbelievable fan base around the world and offer an amazing platform on which to play your football."

But who should Celtic appoint next?

Hartson insists he has got the name of the ideal candidate.

He added: "I know exactly who would be ideal for the job and if Dermot Desmond, Peter Lawwell or John Reid want to call me I'll tell them.

"They have my number."

What can you say really...

Fantastic Expectations... Squire's Avatar

Default Re: Strach had a gutful of the fans who hated him

At the end of the day, he gave it all the 'terrific fans greatest club in the world' pish but that's ony words, he treated the fans like inferior beings and no manager that does that, Celtic man or not, is goanny get away with that. Fuck him

hartson has already claimed that strachan had decided to quit this summer after the win at ibrox.which would go along towards explaining the ineptness of some of the displays afterwards

maybe if he hadn't tried to rely so much on his unwitty quips and gave fans straight answers he would have been shown more affection

Pre and post match interviews are one of the few times the manager has to connect with the support, he never even tried, he came across as ignorant and insulting to Celtic fans intelligence everytime he was trying to tell us how wondefull we played after drawing with some average spl team, or like telling us that M.Brown hadnt a save to make after letting four in against the dons

When you're hated by the people you work for - the fans - then there comes a point where you reach breaking point.

Hartson said the above statement....altho i wouldnt use the word hated...he hits the nail on the head when he said....."hated by the people you work for-the fans"

If strachan had of treated the fans with a bit more decency he wouldnt of had as many so called haters.

Remember.....the people he worked for-the fans.

He treated us with contempt, so fuck him. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I also think that the happy clappers who lapped up his bullshit and told us we played good football are also to blame for the state we are in.

Show us your Shareen SwoopingVulture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

I also think that the happy clappers who lapped up his bullshit and told us we played good football are also to blame for the state we are in.
    We'll see what the next manager does Martin. I liked the football we played, it was just unfortunate that after have a decade of being lucky enough to enjoy numerous quality strikers at the club at the same time, we now barely have one to finish off the moves. I'm pretty sure that if you stuck a 28 year old Larsson in there we'd have won the league by 20 odd points this season.

tbh i can't blame the guy. Yes, i think he was ill advised with some of the things he did to the press, but it was how the fans treated him that really saddened me. Celtic fans come out with "we're the greatest fans in the world and we follow the team through thick and thin". Well we just proved that we can't even get behind the club when we are going through our thickest period for 30 years.

We used to have a wagebill that put us in the top 6 in the EPL 7 or 8 years ago but now we can't even compete in the transfer stakes with clubs that are getting promoted into the EPL. Things aren't going to change with a change of manager, he'll still have the same amount of money, or even less.

He treated the fans with contempt. Any desicion with any sort of influence he refused to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoopingVulture View Post

We'll see what the next manager does Martin. I liked the football we played, it was just unfortunate that after have a decade of being lucky enough to enjoy numerous quality strikers at the club at the same time, we now barely have one to finish off the moves. I'm pretty sure that if you stuck a 28 year old Larsson in there we'd have won the league by 20 odd points this season.

tbh i can't blame the guy. Yes, i think he was ill advised with some of the things he did to the press, but it was how the fans treated him that really saddened me. Celtic fans come out with "we're the greatest fans in the world and we follow the team through thick and thin". Well we just proved that we can't even get behind the club when we are going through our thickest period for 30 years.

We used to have a wagebill that put us in the top 6 in the EPL 7 or 8 years ago but now we can't even compete in the transfer stakes with clubs that are getting promoted into the EPL. Things aren't going to change with a change of manager, he'll still have the same amount of money, or even less.
    I'm a Celtic supporter Swoop, not a WGS supporter. When WGS has no respect for the fans (who pay his wages) why should I respect him ?

Although the quality of player we have has declined we still have the best squad in the country. For me the manager is not doing his job if the best players in the land aren't winning the league.

Regarding the quality of football it is entirely your prerogative to like it. But I think the number of empty seats at CP tells its own story.

I'm a Celtic supporter Swoop, not a WGS supporter. When WGS has no respect for the fans (who pay his wages) why should I respect him ?

Although the quality of player we have has declined we still have the best squad in the country. For me the manager is not doing his job if the best players in the land aren't winning the league.

Regarding the quality of football it is entirely your prerogative to like it. But I think the number of empty seats at CP tells its own story.
    I don't think that he does have contempt for the majority of Celtic fans. I think he does, as i do to be honest, have contempt for fans that just scream "you're a dick Strachan, get tae fuck". I might have some sympathy for them if they had ever shouted his name when he had won them titles, but they never did. If i winning titles and were on a million a year and i was getting that constant abuse then i'd have told them where to stick it long ago.

It has been embarrassing to me to listen to the constant whinging and sniping at a team that were going for 4 in a row and lost it on the last day of the season. Although it is matched by the same actions going on across the city by fans who wanted the manager who had taken a side built on feck all to a Uefa cup final just the season before (not to mention all the other stuff he has won for them).

I understand what you say about getting the best out of the best squad in the country an dmaybe you are right. The only place that the huns are better than us is in attack. VoH has steadily declined (although good when first signed) and Samaras is more hot and cold (more cold) than a dodgy shower but where was the support from the board? We sold Miller for 3m (a good deal at the time 99% agreed), and if Strachan had been given 3m to go out and replace him then who knows? We had Sheridan starting up front against Man Utd ffs!

The board left us with 3 senior strikers (one of whom is almost permanently injured) and no money to replace them. Strachan knew this and asked for Fletcher and the board did not come up with the goods.

It will be interesting what th enext manager gets in the way of a transfer kitty. Strachan got 4m this season and it has probably cost us the league and with it the CL spot. I understand th eneed for prudence. But there is the idea of only signing players that will have a resale value (ie under the age of 25) and not signing anyone at all.

[QUOTE=SwoopingVulture;7378]

I
    don't think that he does have contempt for the majority of Celtic fans. I think he does, as i do to be honest, have contempt for fans that just scream "you're a dick Strachan, get tae fuck". I might have some sympathy for them if they had ever shouted his name when he had won them titles, but they never did. If i winning titles and were on a million a year and i was getting that constant abuse then i'd have told them where to stick it long ago.
    For me Swoop we won the titles despite his management. You or I could have won it in his first and second years; the third year Zombies should have won it were it not for the UEFA Cup; and this year, to lose it to that Zombies side is embarrassing.

It has been embarrassing to me to listen to the constant whinging and sniping at a team that were going for 4 in a row and lost it on the last day of the season. Although it is matched by the same actions going on across the city by fans who wanted the manager who had taken a side built on feck all to a Uefa cup final just the season before (not to mention all the other stuff he has won for them).
    Again I would say though that the empty seats, when we have 3IAR and were going for 4, tells a serious story - even during a period of relative success fans were turned off by what they were seeing. The context in which we won those 3 titles should not be overlooked.

I understand what you say about getting the best out of the best squad in the country an dmaybe you are right. The only place that the huns are better than us is in attack. VoH has steadily declined (although good when first signed) and Samaras is more hot and cold (more cold) than a dodgy shower but where was the support from the board? We sold Miller for 3m (a good deal at the time 99% agreed), and if Strachan had been given 3m to go out and replace him then who knows? We had Sheridan starting up front against Man Utd ffs!
    I agree with all of this. The board are culpable too, but perhaps WGS could have argued a stronger case for new players, or maybe the board weren't too impressed with his previous dealings in the transfer market.

The board left us with 3 senior strikers (one of whom is almost permanently injured) and no money to replace them. Strachan knew this and asked for Fletcher and the board did not come up with the goods.
    For me Swoop the fletcher thing was a complete red herring - but even that proves your point all the more here.

It will be interesting what th enext manager gets in the way of a transfer kitty. Strachan got 4m this season and it has probably cost us the league and with it the CL spot. I understand th eneed for prudence. But there is the idea of only signing players that will have a resale value (ie under the age of 25) and not signing anyone at all.
    I agree. I think quite a few players will be leaving and, imo, we need 4-6 players who will walk in to the first team. I am sceptical, as I guess you are, that this will happen.

I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

I agree, sometimes the whole "best fans in the world" and "keep the faith" feels like pro board propaganda which just pisses me off.

[QUOTE=Martin;7488]

I
    don't think that he does have contempt for the majority of Celtic fans. I think he does, as i do to be honest, have contempt for fans that just scream "you're a dick Strachan, get tae fuck". I might have some sympathy for them if they had ever shouted his name when he had won them titles, but they never did. If i winning titles and were on a million a year and i was getting that constant abuse then i'd have told them where to stick it long ago.
    For me Swoop we won the titles despite his management. You or I could have won it in his first and second years; the third year Zombies should have won it were it not for the UEFA Cup; and this year, to lose it to that Zombies side is embarrassing.

Again I would say though that the empty seats, when we have 3IAR and were going for 4, tells a serious story - even during a period of relative success fans were turned off by what they were seeing. The context in which we won those 3 titles should not be overlooked.

I agree with all of this. The board are culpable too, but perhaps WGS could have argued a stronger case for new players, or maybe the board weren't too impressed with his previous dealings in the transfer market.

For me Swoop the fletcher thing was a complete red herring - but even that proves your point all the more here.

I agree. I think quite a few players will be leaving and, imo, we need 4-6 players who will walk in to the first team. I am sceptical, as I guess you are, that this will happen.

I can see why people might not have loved Strachan but i think folk should have respected him. I don't get the idea that because Zombies were not supposed to be amazing that the value of the title was somehow diminished. Ask those Zombies fans about their 9 in a row, and how bad we were during that run and they'll say "so what?". How good were the huns when Stein was in charge? I don't know and don't care.

I think it is very dangerous to go into the territory of judging a coach on his public personality. Alex Ferguson would have been out of a job ago long ago and Bobby Robson would still be manager of England if that were the case. Me personally i go on results.

That being said WGS has resigned and has saved us 1m for not sacking him. I think you could see more than half the team leaving, including Aiden, Artur and Naka. The next guy in will have a hell of a job replacing them with the tiny kitty he gets, remember those three only cost 2m combined.

I can see why people might not have loved Strachan but i think folk should have respected him. I don't get the idea that because Zombies were not supposed to be amazing that the value of the title was somehow diminished. Ask those Zombies fans about their 9 in a row, and how bad we were during that run and they'll say "so what?". How good were the huns when Stein was in charge? I don't know and don't care.

I think it is very dangerous to go into the territory of judging a coach on his public personality. Alex Ferguson would have been out of a job ago long ago and Bobby Robson would still be manager of England if that were the case. Me personally i go on results.

That being said WGS has resigned and has saved us 1m for not sacking him. I think you could see more than half the team leaving, including Aiden, Artur and Naka. The next guy in will have a hell of a job replacing them with the tiny kitty he gets, remember those three only cost 2m combined.
    Nail on the head.

Hate when fans bring up the "but Zombies were terrible the first two seasons" card, and what? We can only play what's put in front of us, and GS done that and more. Our first season we won the league in record time, with a tally of 91 points and 28 wins, bearing in mind that we only play Zombies 4 times, Strachan done what was needed. Bearing in mind that we only accumulated a total of 89 points last season, a season in which many say we were lucky to win and that Zombies were much improved. From these stats it shows that Strachan would have won the league on the first season, even if Zombies were as improved as they were this season (86 points for Zombies) or last season (86 points again). So that should put to bed the suggestions that Strachan only won it for the first season due to a bad Zombies side, considering he accumulated more points in his first season than Zombies have the previous two seasons.

I feel sorry for the guy, truly do. There wasn't much more he could do in success terms than what he did, and was only 1 trophy off the much loved MON in a season less.

Yeah, he mightn't have been the most talented when it came to conducting himself in interviews, but I know I'd rather a manager who doesn't conduct himself in an interview, over a less successful manager.

I will always be extremely grateful to what Strachan has delivered us and will always be under the impression that he was massively under-appreciated and, hopefully not, but fans may realise this in months to come.
    Last edited by Conorcfc; 27-05-2009 at 01:55 AM.

G.B.N.L

Celtic Under 19s aidan_mcanespie's Avatar

I dont despise Strachan nor do i hate him. I just think hes done all he can for the club, and his times up. I hate when you say something bad about Strachan and your automatically added into this "we hate Strachan club" Its nothing like it.

100% Respect to him.

I can see why people might not have loved Strachan but i think folk should have respected him.
    But he gives off the impression that he has no respect for people. There are plenty of instances throughout his time in football which have reflected poorly on him. His attitude towards answering questions about performances/tactics etc has been disgraceful imo and he barely hides his contempt for the opinions of those who do not earn a living from the sport. Respect is two way street.

I don't get the idea that because Zombies were not supposed to be amazing that the value of the title was somehow diminished.
    I am making the point that us winning championships against a rank huns team does not mean we are good - imo we have not been good under WGS despite 3 titles.

Ask those Zombies fans about their 9 in a row, and how bad we were during that run and they'll say "so what?". How good were the huns when Stein was in charge? I don't know and don't care.
    Zombies had a good team during their 9IAR, and we had a better team then than we do now. We all love to win titles Swoop but it doesn't change whether, or not, we are a good team

I agree, but I am not judging him solely on his (hugely flawed) character but also on tactics, transfer failures and style of football. I admit though that I have found his public conduct an embarrassment to the club.

I agree, it's going to be an interesting summer !

Hate when fans bring up the "but Zombies were terrible the first two seasons" card, and what? We can only play what's put in front of us, and GS done that and more.
    Sorry mate but that is just a meaningless cliche. It means nothing. Beating shite teams does not mean we are good, titles or no titles. We have gotten worse year after year under WGS, a blind man can see that.

Our first season we won the league in record time, with a tally of 91 points and 28 wins, bearing in mind that we only play Zombies 4 times, Strachan done what was needed.
    Zombies went ten games without a win that season, their worst run in their entire history. No one challenged us. Again this does not mean we are good.

Bearing in mind that we only accumulated a total of 89 points last season, a season in which many say we were lucky to win and that Zombies were much improved. From these stats it shows that Strachan would have won the league on the first season, even if Zombies were as improved as they were this season (86 points for Zombies) or last season (86 points again). So that should put to bed the suggestions that Strachan only won it for the first season due to a bad Zombies side, considering he accumulated more points in his first season than Zombies have the previous two seasons.
    This is just manipulating facts to suit your ends. In WGS's 2nd season PLG was at Zombies, do I need to expand on that ? Did Zombies even finish second that year ?

I feel sorry for the guy, truly do. There wasn't much more he could do in success terms than what he did, and was only 1 trophy off the much loved MON in a season less.
    He could have put a decent team on the pitch playing decent football. Is that too much to ask ?

Yeah, he mightn't have been the most talented when it came to conducting himself in interviews, but I know I'd rather a manager who doesn't conduct himself in an interview, over a less successful manager.
    I'd rather we won things and had a decent team.

I will always be extremely grateful to what Strachan has delivered us and will always be under the impression that he was massively under-appreciated and, hopefully not, but fans may realise this in months to come.
    Strachan delivered nothing mate. I could have managed Celtic to the first two titles. The third was down to Zombies UEFA Cup run. This year, with the best squad in Scotland, we threw it way. Walter Smith has proven this year that he is a better manager than WGS by winning the league with inferior players.

Quote Originally Posted by aidan_mcanespie View Post
    I dont despise Strachan nor do i hate him. I just think hes done all he can for the club, and his times up. I hate when you say something bad about Strachan and your automatically added into this "we hate Strachan club" Its nothing like it.

100% Respect to him.
    I think maybe you are correct there. I think WGS, as MON did before, and countless other manager have, was becoming guilty of falling in love with certain players.

The reason Fergie is so successful is that he is willing to be ruthless and get rid of players as soon as their powers are on the wane. When you hear that WGS was begging the board to give VoH a new deal and it was the board who were questioning it, quite rightly, due to him being fit for a maximum of 50% of the game each season since he signed, you begin to wonder if just the club and he needed a fresh start.

Hate when fans bring up the "but Zombies were terrible the first two seasons" card, and what? We can only play what's put in front of us, and GS done that and more.
    Sorry mate but that is just a meaningless cliche. It means nothing. Beating shite teams does not mean we are good, titles or no titles. We have gotten worse year after year under WGS, a blind man can see that.

Our first season we won the league in record time, with a tally of 91 points and 28 wins, bearing in mind that we only play Zombies 4 times, Strachan done what was needed.
    Zombies went ten games without a win that season, their worst run in their entire history. No one challenged us. Again this does not mean we are good.

Bearing in mind that we only accumulated a total of 89 points last season, a season in which many say we were lucky to win and that Zombies were much improved. From these stats it shows that Strachan would have won the league on the first season, even if Zombies were as improved as they were this season (86 points for Zombies) or last season (86 points again). So that should put to bed the suggestions that Strachan only won it for the first season due to a bad Zombies side, considering he accumulated more points in his first season than Zombies have the previous two seasons.
    This is just manipulating facts to suit your ends. In WGS's 2nd season PLG was at Zombies, do I need to expand on that ? Did Zombies even finish second that year ?

He could have put a decent team on the pitch playing decent football. Is that too much to ask ?

I'd rather we won things and had a decent team.

Strachan delivered nothing mate. I could have managed Celtic to the first two titles. The third was down to Zombies UEFA Cup run. This year, with the best squad in Scotland, we threw it way. Walter Smith has proven this year that he is a better manager than WGS by winning the league with inferior players.

Obviously we can argue this day after day and still come to our own conclusions. Although the point on playing decent football, I'd rather be successful than play good football - look at West Brom, they tried playing attacking, pleasing on the eye football, and that landed them bottom of their league.

I agree that we have been getting worse under Strachan, but the fact of the matter is, for three seasons he done what he was meant to do. I will always be grateful for that, but some fans don't seem to see both sides of the arguement and only judge him on his disadvantages. I'd go as far as saying that there would be a section within our support who would be satisfied at our loss of the league, because it pushed Strachan out the door.

We never played silky football like most fans deserve, but we were still successful and in my eyes that's 110% more important than playing nice football. Just ask the same question about the Tommy Burns era, we played lovely football, but ultimately weren't successful.

I hope WGS's big enough to do a U-turn and come back if the best we can get is Coyle.

Even Tony Mowbray's meant to have turned the job down lol.