Thread: Hands off Oweny

Default Hands off Oweny

CELTIC have been warned to keep their hands off Premiership-bound Burnley boss Owen Coyle.

Coyle and Tony Mowbray have emerged as front-runners for the Parkhead hotseat after Gordon Strachan quit yesterday.

As SunSport exclusively revealed yesterday Strachan has resigned after four years in the Hoops hotseat.

He quit just 24 hours after losing the SPL championship for the first time in his Parkhead reign.

Lifelong Hoops fan Coyle and former Celt Mowbray are leading contenders for the vacancy, along with Motherwell boss Mark McGhee.

Coyle led Burnley into England's top-flight with a play-off win over Sheffield United.

But Clarets chairman Barry Kilby will fight tooth and nail to keep his boss.

He said: "Owen is the Burnley manager. He is ambitious and young, but he's contracted to Burnley.

"He relishes the prospect of pitting his wits against the best, managing Burnley in the Premier League."

Several Hoops players, including Gary Caldwell, were at Wembley yesterday to witness the greatest day of Coyle's managerial career. The Clarets were captained by Caldwell's brother, Steven.

But it's unclear whether former St Johnstone gaffer Coyle will stay at Turf Moor.

He said: "I didn't even know there was a vacancy at Celtic.

"It's flattering that people mention your name, but I'm at Burnley. I'll concentrate on what I'm doing here."

Mowbray would be interested in talking to the Hoops. His West Brom side were relegated after one season in the top-flight and ex-Hibs gaffer Mogga could be lured away.

Strachan flew out to Spain after ending a reign which yielded six trophies.

He said: "I have enjoyed my time immensely at Celtic. I'll be sad to leave this great club.

"As I have said before, Celtic is a special club, with special supporters.

"It has been an absolute honour and privilege to be the club's manager.

"We've done all we can to bring success to the club and we were delighted to deliver three SPL titles, other domestic silverware, as well as making great progress in Europe.

"It is just disappointing that we did not manage the fourth championship.

"However, the players can hold their heads high in terms of what they have done for the club in recent years.

"I thank all the players I have worked with at the club and my backroom team.

Advertisement

"I thank the fans for the tremendous support they have given myself and the players.

"I wish Celtic and our supporters nothing but success for the future."

Strachan quit exactly four years to the day he succeeded Martin O'Neill.

Lawwell said: "Gordon has given everything to the club and worked tirelessly to bring success to Celtic."

Mowbray it is...

Default Re: Hands off Oweny

i couldn't see coyle leaving burnley anyway.mowbray will be grand

Default Re: Hands off Oweny

"Oweny" wtf haha!

I kinda like Mowbray, if anything we will get attractive football. Winning a few games would be nice too though.
    http://www.board67.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=65&dateline=124621052  3