Thread: eta warns britons

Default eta warns britons

Britons are threat to Basque country, Eta warns | World news ...

Armed Basque separatist group Eta yesterday pointed to British holidaymakers and second-home buyers in the French Basque country as a threat to the region's future.

In an interview published in the radical Gara newspaper yesterday , two leaders of the terrorist group named British visitors among those accused of destroying a Basque culture that Eta has vowed to defend with bombs and bullets.

They said British visitors were part of a wave of "colonisation" of the Basque region in south-west France that was wiping out traditional farming culture and the ancient Basque language of Euskara.

"If things do not change ... these oppressed territories will become leisure areas for the English, for Parisians and people from Bordeaux," said an Eta member using the codename Gaueko.

Eta has killed more than 800 people in a 40-year campaign of violence to try to create an independent Basque state.

Although most of its attacks have been on Spanish soil, three of the seven Basque "provinces" that it wants to bring together are Labourd, Basse Navarre and Soule all of which are in France.

Historically Eta has used France mostly as a base from which to attack Spain. In recent years, however, it has also carried out a handful of attacks in France, killing two undercover Spanish police officers there in 2007.

There have also been robberies at French arms depots and shootouts with gendarmes in the past decade.

Some of Eta's bloodiest activists have been French Basques. The group has also supported separatist groups such as Iparretarrak and Irrintzi, which have attacked tourist targets in the French Basque country, including the summer homes of non-Basques.

Chef Alain Ducasse had to quit his restaurant in an 18th-century manor house near the town of Biarritz two years ago after it suffered several bomb attacks.

Eta's leadership has traditionally based itself in France. A recent wave of arrests there, in which French and Spanish police worked together, has seen half a dozen senior activists detained.

It was unclear yesterday whether the group would retaliate by striking at more targets in France.

The two members interviewed in Gara said they would be setting a new strategy this summer.

i can certainly emphasize with them in regard to good land been left idle for 52 weeks out of the year awaiting the arrival of some foreigner that thinks its beneath them to talk to the locals.would an effort to learn the local culture be asking to much ?

I live for Glasgow Celtic clagan's Avatar

Default Re: eta warns britons

would an effort to learn the local culture be asking to much ?

in a word yes. brits in general wouldn't bother. i understand where ETA is coming from but this sounds drastic tbh. "oi pedro, dos beeros por favor"

Quote Originally Posted by clagan View Post
    would an effort to learn the local culture be asking to much ?

in a word yes. brits in general wouldn't bother. i understand where ETA is coming from but this sounds drastic tbh. "oi pedro, dos beeros por favor"

i know the french are disgusted with the way they have of operating.not speaking french ,reading imported english newspapers and producing gash wine that gives the rest of france a bad name

it is drastic though,sadly it smacks of desperation on eta's behalf.just like those muppets in the cornish liberation front or whatever they call themselves

i see wher eta are coming from but threatening to shoot tourists is drastic. they have a right to uphold their culture, like us thats something they've fought hard to do in the face of serious adversity over the years but theres better ways to do it. foreigners arent allowed to buy land in thailand, maybe they should try that?

that seems the better option.

or something like they have in the gaeltachts,you have to be able to speak the language to be a resident

More proof that ETA are cunts.

Having said that, Basques are generally nice. I actually started learning Basque and can honestly say it is well-nigh impossible. It's by far the hardest language I've ever learned - and I can speak seven reasonably well.

Plus, Basque isn't actually the main language in most of the Basque country. (Fact).

ETA are cunts.

Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Onion View Post
    More proof that ETA are cunts.

Having said that, Basques are generally nice. I actually started learning Basque and can honestly say it is well-nigh impossible. It's by far the hardest language I've ever learned - and I can speak seven reasonably well.

Plus, Basque isn't actually the main language in most of the Basque country. (Fact).

ETA are cunts.
    It's a language isolate that nobody knows where the fuck it came from with the exception to a flaky link with Aquitanian. But then, nobody knows where the fuck Aquitanian came from so they're back to square one.

It'd be like trying to learn Chinese, you have no base to start from.

Basque is harder than Chinese. There are grammatical notions in it I just can't get my head round. Totally irregular grammar too.

Sound wise - it sounds very like Spanish (Spanish and spain has a massive Basque influence)

Grammar wise - it's a cunt of a language.

Apologies for the non-linguistic terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by caoimhin View Post
    it is drastic though,sadly it smacks of desperation on eta's behalf.just like those muppets in the cornish liberation front or whatever they call themselves
    I'm going to be starting my studies in Cornwall later this year: do I have anything to be worried about?

Edit: Hey Onion, whereabouts in Spain do you live? I live in Marbella

And yeah Catalan is much easier to speak than Basque.
    Last edited by Cristo; 26-05-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caoimhin View Post
    I'm going to be starting my studies in Cornwall later this year: do I have anything to be worried about?

Go easy on the clotted cream. IIt'll give you man boobs in 3 weeks.

Hahaha ok and I suppose the pasties as well

near Murcia

Ahhh that's fucking miles away. Drove there once and it took 5 or 6 hours if I'm not wrong.

What're you doing there?

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo View Post
    Ahhh that's fucking miles away. Drove there once and it took 5 or 6 hours if I'm not wrong.

What're you doing there?
    Working as little as possible cos I'm talking to you right now.
    Can I blame you if I get the sack?

clotted cream is shit anyway, really bland. i like homemade jam on my scones