Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

  1. #1
    Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    Well I've had a look at what's really going on for next year and it actually doesn't look that bad. What happens is basically the "best teams" get separated from other teams in the third round of qualifying, which is the round that determines who else gets in to the group stage. The "best team" qualification is set up so there is one playoff of 10 teams, followed by another playoff between those five winners and the fourth place teams from England (Arsenal), Spain (TBD, either Atletico or Villarreal), Italy (Fiorentina); and the third place teams from France (Lyon... ouch) and Germany (Stuttgart).

    There was some speculation that we would fail to qualify for the Europa League if we didn't get out of this round... which is only partly true. This "round" is actually two rounds so to speak, and if we beat our first opponent it won't matter what happens against the likes of the Arsenals, we will be assured some European football, guaranteed a spot in the group stages of the Europa League. Right now, this is how the "first round" of the third round is stacking up. * EDIT* Also, even if we lost in the first match (the match against the Unseeded teams below), we would be placed in the Euro League qualifying round, not kicked out of Europe like I initially thought.

    Seeded teams: Celtic, Sporting Lisbon, Shakhtar Donetsk, Panathinaikos, Anderlecht.
    Unseeded teams: FC Twente, Dynamo Moscow, Sparta Prague, Sivasspor (TUR), Dinamo Bucuresti.

    The thing that's good about these lower teams qualifying is that, besides the fact they have less quality, will probably knock Anderlecht and Panathinaikos in to seeded positions, saving us a match between either of them.

    And it is my opinion that if we fail to beat the likes of Sparta Prague, then we really have no reason to be demanding special treatment anyway.

    Like I said, I was just really bored... it's a federal holiday today so everything's shut down, so here's something to look at.
    Last edited by Diegan; 31-05-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: new info

  2. #2
    The '59 Sound Mr Brightside's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Glasgow

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    I personally wouldn't mind if we had to make do with the europa League this season

    I'm worried that unless we seriously improve the team then the CL could be as embarassing as last year
    I'm raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis Trust. Any donations would be really sound and much appreciated!

    http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/paulregan93


  3. #3
    Sheabhoy08 Sheabhoy08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Glasgow

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    Step forward, Diegan as a future news writer for this forum,good wee read there pal!!

  4. #4
    woooooooo Hoopymo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    I'd rather a good run in the europa.

  5. #5
    Plastic Scot Buzzbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kildare

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    That aint half bad diegen, hopefully we get a nice handy draw for our first game and get the confidence of the manager up and the fans right behind.

    I actually dont think its that big of a disaster if we only get the Europa, theres more money in it now, id probaly actualy tak it now because no europe at all would be a complete disaster. So is it basicly if we win our first round were gauranteed Europa League

  6. #6
    Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbhoy View Post
    That aint half bad diegen, hopefully we get a nice handy draw for our first game and get the confidence of the manager up and the fans right behind.

    I actually dont think its that big of a disaster if we only get the Europa, theres more money in it now, id probaly actualy tak it now because no europe at all would be a complete disaster. So is it basicly if we win our first round were gauranteed Europa League
    Yea... I'm looking at the coefficient for Ukraine who had one team win the UEFA Cup (now Europa League) and they got a fucking monster bonus, as did Germany but just a bit less so.

  7. #7
    Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheabhoy08 View Post
    Step forward, Diegan as a future news writer for this forum,good wee read there pal!!
    Haha, cheers man. Appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by hoopymo View Post
    I'd rather a good run in the europa.
    If I'm being honest, while I wouldn't necessarily "choose" it over the Champions League, I could certainly get in to a little Europa League run. After all, the Seville run is one of the things that brought me to the club.

    Oh yea, and if you guys want I'll edit/post updates as soon as league champions are known and also as this thing starts shaping up in July when the qualifying rounds start.

  8. #8
    Sheabhoy08 Sheabhoy08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Glasgow

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    I would like that mate, as you will be able to update us with things when we get up in the morning with the time difference and that,ask the mods if you could do a daily blog,with any of the info you get through the night!!!

  9. #9
    Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheabhoy08 View Post
    I would like that mate, as you will be able to update us with things when we get up in the morning with the time difference and that,ask the mods if you could do a daily blog,with any of the info you get through the night!!!
    There won't be enough information to warrant daily updates, I won't know anythng new until the next round of the Turkish, Czech, etc. leagues next weekend.

    I have however updated the op because I just learned that we go directly to the group stages of the Europa League if we lose in the "second part" of the third round. So that's more positive news... we won't have to worry about a play-in as long as we beat our first opponents.

  10. #10
    I live for Glasgow Celtic clagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Randalstown/Partick

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    forget the europa league. we need to be in the premier competition playing the top teams every season to help improve and attract better players. playing in the europa league wont sell the club to potential signings

  11. #11
    Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by clagan View Post
    forget the europa league. we need to be in the premier competition playing the top teams every season to help improve and attract better players. playing in the europa league wont sell the club to potential signings
    It's done alright for the Ukrainian clubs. I see the Europa League rising in stature... in South America both the Copa Libertadores and the Copa Sudamericana are extremely popular.

    Nobody would "choose" the Europa League but I wouldn't mind a nice run. Would you have traded Seville for getting knocked out in the last 16 again that year?

  12. #12
    Plastic Scot Buzzbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Kildare

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    ''Diegan For Newswriter''

  13. #13
    I live for Glasgow Celtic clagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Randalstown/Partick

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by Diegan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clagan View Post
    forget the europa league. we need to be in the premier competition playing the top teams every season to help improve and attract better players. playing in the europa league wont sell the club to potential signings
    It's done alright for the Ukrainian clubs. I see the Europa League rising in stature... in South America both the Copa Libertadores and the Copa Sudamericana are extremely popular.

    Nobody would "choose" the Europa League but I wouldn't mind a nice run. Would you have traded Seville for getting knocked out in the last 16 again that year?
    the ukranian teams are loaded, thats why they get good brazillians.

    you say nobody would "choose" the europa league but thats what people actually said on the previous page, they would prefer to be in the europa league than the CL.

    the CL is the most prestigous club tournament in the world and we need to be part of that. both ukranian clubs were in the CL but finished 3rd in their group so gained access to the uefa cup

  14. #14

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by Diegan View Post
    It's done alright for the Ukrainian clubs. I see the Europa League rising in stature... in South America both the Copa Libertadores and the Copa Sudamericana are extremely popular.

    Nobody would "choose" the Europa League but I wouldn't mind a nice run. Would you have traded Seville for getting knocked out in the last 16 again that year?
    The difference between South America and Europe is that any multi-country cup in South America is seen as huge, even the World Club Chumpionship is seen as a big thing there. This is because there is only 11 countries competing in the Copa Libertadores compared to the 53 competing in the Europa League, there is not enough quality or rivalry to have people interested in a match between Metalist Kharkiv and Toulouse. It's always going to be the same as the UEFA cup, a name change and new structuring won't make anyone more interested in it.

    I want Champions League football this year, nothing less. We have already gifted Zombies the 10 million pounds for participating and 5 million in television rights, that's not including the likely Europa cup action after they finish in third. We almost had them on the run, I don't want them to return as a dominant force.

  15. #15
    Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by clagan View Post
    the ukranian teams are loaded, thats why they get good brazillians.

    you say nobody would "choose" the europa league but thats what people actually said on the previous page, they would prefer to be in the europa league than the CL.

    the CL is the most prestigous club tournament in the world and we need to be part of that. both ukranian clubs were in the CL but finished 3rd in their group so gained access to the uefa cup
    Alright then... I watched Standard Liege vs. Anderlecht yesterday and almost to a man Standard are better than Celtic. They don't go to the CL much, they have a smaller stadium than us, and they have less history. How do they pull players, then?

    Also, no, nobody is choosing Europa. Look at the comments. I'm seeing "wouldn't be a disaster", "wouldn't mind a good Europa run", "I personally would mind if we had to make do with a Europa run." Yes, the CL is better, and I think it's completely possible we will make it... but Celtic Park isn't going to be swallowed by the earth if we go to the Europa League. Saying that, getting eliminated from the group stages of Europa League would be a disaster. People are only accepting Europa League if we go on a very good run... quarter finals at the least I'd say.

  16. #16
    I live for Glasgow Celtic clagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Randalstown/Partick

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    hoopymo- I'd rather a good run in the europa.

    anderlecht and liege get good players but i sincerely doubt they're almost btter than us to a man. any good players they have get sold, kompany, mpenza, feillaini etc

    at no point did i say anything as sensationalist as celtic park will get swallowed if we're in the europa league. the fact is the best players want to play in the CL, the europa league is an afterthought. we already have a lot of hinderances in our way when it comes to attracting top players, budget restrictions, playing in scotland, the weather etc etc so playing in the second string european competition, in terms of finance and prestige would not be of any benefit to the club.
    Last edited by clagan; 25-05-2009 at 11:54 PM.

  17. #17
    Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by clagan View Post
    hoopymo- I'd rather a good run in the europa.

    anderlecht and liege get good players but i sincerely doubt they're almost btter than us to a man. any good players they have get sold, kompany, mpenza, feillaini etc

    at no point did i say anything as sensationalist as celtic park will get swallowed if we're in the europa league. the fact is the best players want to play in the CL, the europa league is an afterthought. we already have a lot of hinderances in our way when it comes to attracting top players, budget restrictions, playing in scotland, the weather etc etc so playing in the second string european competition, in terms of finance and prestige would not be of any benefit to the club.
    I watched it almost right after the Celtic-Hearts game. They are better than us with some room to spare. Maybe not Anderlecht, but Liege for sure.

    And I agree that they get sold, but I believe that's because they don't have the history we have. If we could get our scouting network's heads out of their asses we could get some players like Jovanovic as well. I believe we could retain better than Liege as long as we show in Europe we are a good team.

    As for hoopymo's comment, I thought he just meant he'd like a run. Didn't think he's comparing. But even if he was, would you rather have a Seville or a final 16? He said "good run" so assume he means something similar.

  18. #18
    woooooooo Hoopymo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    Also why better players - because belgium has no WP rules.

  19. #19
    Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by hoopymo View Post
    Also why better players - because belgium has no WP rules.
    A lot of their players would qualify because of other nations. Almost all of their Africans are from France or Belgium... and it seems like wps are a little slack when it comes to non-EU european countries. A player like Jovanovic would have qualified on appeal.

  20. #20
    like fuck Bhoys Dont Cry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brisbane

    Default Re: Champions League 2009-10 Analysis

    Good run through mate, explained it much easier.

    Think I would rather a good run in Europa league but I would still love to be in the UCL. Just something about it, either way I'll be happy we are even in Europe!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •