Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: how the celts saved britain

  1. #1

    Default how the celts saved britain

    anyone watching this on bbc four ?

    being a little coy with the title.surely what they mean to say is that it was the irish that were the saviours

  2. #2
    Sheabhoy08 Sheabhoy08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Glasgow

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    Quote Originally Posted by caoimhin View Post
    anyone watching this on bbc four ?

    being a little coy with the title.surely what they mean to say is that it was the irish that were the saviours
    How's things mate? i am watching some cartoons with the bhoys,could you give me the story mate!!!

  3. #3

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheabhoy08 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caoimhin View Post
    anyone watching this on bbc four ?

    being a little coy with the title.surely what they mean to say is that it was the irish that were the saviours
    How's things mate? i am watching some cartoons with the bhoys,could you give me the story mate!!!
    alright bud,

    its just telling the story of the irish monks that spread literature throughout britain during the dark ages after the fall of the roman empire

    a good little read on the subjest is "how the irish saved civilisation" by thomas cahill

  4. #4
    Sheabhoy08 Sheabhoy08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Glasgow

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    will look into it mate,can always rely on your good self for some history!!!

  5. #5

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheabhoy08 View Post
    will look into it mate,can always rely on your good self for some history!!!
    you'd be on surer footing than me with this shea,its religious history!

    you'll enjoy it

  6. #6

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    part 2 is on now,bbc 4

    this one deals with the irish monks that brought christianity to britain

  7. #7
    Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    Thomas Cahill is a fraud. I read that book back when I was in to my Irish Nationalism stage (I'm actually eligible for an Irish passport), but even then I was skeptical. Actually, that book is what pushed me to be a little bit more moderate becaus it was so self-indulgent. No credit to the Arabs, who did far, far more to preserve Western Literature. Nothing about the Byzantines, who did far, far more. Nothing about the Armenians... I could really go on.

    They were extremely important in preserving the culture of the British Isles... but that book puts a little too much importance on it on a European level.

  8. #8
    Celtic Legend metrobhoy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Glasgow

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    I sat down to watch it there before the Mrs turned over to watch a documentary about gastric band surgery for teenagers in America

  9. #9
    Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    Quote Originally Posted by metrobhoy2 View Post
    I sat down to watch it there before the Mrs turned over to watch a documentary about gastric band surgery for teenagers in America
    Kids are getting kidney stones here because they are so fat. It's a disgrace. A fucking disgrace...

  10. #10
    Celtic Legend metrobhoy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Glasgow

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    Quote Originally Posted by Diegan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by metrobhoy2 View Post
    I sat down to watch it there before the Mrs turned over to watch a documentary about gastric band surgery for teenagers in America
    Kids are getting kidney stones here because they are so fat. It's a disgrace. A fucking disgrace...


    Parents must accept most of the blame for this imo.

  11. #11
    Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    Parents must accept most of the blame for this imo.
    Agree... we're taking care of my 10 year old cousin because her mom got arrested, and she still sucks her thumb, is afraid of the dark, walks around with her "blankie", etc. It's an embarrassment to the standard of parenting that goes on here.

  12. #12

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    Quote Originally Posted by Diegan View Post
    Thomas Cahill is a fraud. I read that book back when I was in to my Irish Nationalism stage (I'm actually eligible for an Irish passport), but even then I was skeptical. Actually, that book is what pushed me to be a little bit more moderate becaus it was so self-indulgent. No credit to the Arabs, who did far, far more to preserve Western Literature. Nothing about the Byzantines, who did far, far more. Nothing about the Armenians... I could really go on.

    They were extremely important in preserving the culture of the British Isles... but that book puts a little too much importance on it on a European level.
    swing and a miss

    this two part series is nothing to do with his book

    its central argument is that it was irish monks that brought learning and christianity to britain after the fall of roman power and the coming of the saxons.nothing about europe
    Last edited by caoimhin; 01-06-2009 at 10:02 PM.

  13. #13
    Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    Quote Originally Posted by caoimhin View Post

    swing and a miss

    this two part series is nothing to do with his book

    its central argument is that it was irish monks that brought learning and christianity to britain after the fall of roman power and the coming of the saxons.nothing about europe
    I can't watch the show obviously, since I don't have BBC... so when someone mentioned the book I responded to that. Nothing to do with the show. Talk about a "swing and a miss."

  14. #14

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    Quote Originally Posted by Diegan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caoimhin View Post

    swing and a miss

    this two part series is nothing to do with his book

    its central argument is that it was irish monks that brought learning and christianity to britain after the fall of roman power and the coming of the saxons.nothing about europe
    I can't watch the show obviously, since I don't have BBC... so when someone mentioned the book I responded to that. Nothing to do with the show. Talk about a "swing and a miss."

    of course it was.just like your puerile rant on religion that avoided every point i'd made and your pathetic misrepresentation of my views on scottish independence.

    you have a habit of avoiding the central issue to try and score cheap little shots

  15. #15
    Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    Quote Originally Posted by caoimhin View Post


    of course it was.just like your puerile rant on religion that avoided every point i'd made and your pathetic misrepresentation of my views on scottish independence.

    you have a habit of avoiding the central issue to try and score cheap little shots
    You recommended the book to Sheabhoy, and so I recommended the opposite. Is that really hard to understand? I'm afraid I can't make my intentions any clearer. If you don't want me to go off topic about a book, don't bring it up in the first place! Also, I've explained myself multiple times about how I respond to multiple points while maybe only quoting one of them. Ranting on the same point over and over and over doesn't make it true.

  16. #16
    woooooooo Hoopymo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    Books are good, it's fun to learn things

  17. #17

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    Quote Originally Posted by Diegan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caoimhin View Post


    of course it was.just like your puerile rant on religion that avoided every point i'd made and your pathetic misrepresentation of my views on scottish independence.

    you have a habit of avoiding the central issue to try and score cheap little shots
    You recommended the book to Sheabhoy, and so I recommended the opposite. Is that really hard to understand? I'm afraid I can't make my intentions any clearer. If you don't want me to go off topic about a book, don't bring it up in the first place! Also, I've explained myself multiple times about how I respond to multiple points while maybe only quoting one of them. Ranting on the same point over and over and over doesn't make it true.
    i recommended that book to shea for the religious history content pertaining to Ireland and britain,which the show was dealing with,a subject matter shea and i have previously discussed.nothing whatsoever to do with arabs or armenians.you weren't to know but that would never stop you would it?

    you don't respond to multiple points.you take a side issue and use it to throw petty little shots.its your m.o
    Last edited by Euskadi; 02-06-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Be civil

  18. #18
    Semi-Benevolent Dictator Euskadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    I wasnt born, so much as I fell out

    Default Re: how the celts saved britain

    Thread really should have been posted in the Lounge for serious discussion, so I'm moving it and cleaning it up.

    Heated debate is fine but lets not get too personal hey

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •