Thread: Bertie Auld tells it like it is

Default Bertie Auld tells it like it is

AULD: TITLE DEFEAT SHAMES CELTIC BOARD
    Posted 25/05/09 12:36
    EmailPrintSave

Lisbon Lion Bertie Auld believes "everyone from the directors down" at Celtic should question themselves as to why their Clydesdale Bank Premier League title was lost to Old F**m rivals Zombies on Sunday.

A goalless draw against Hearts at Parkhead was, in the end, irrelevant as Zombies beat Dundee United 3-0 at Tannadice to take the championship back to Ibrox for the first time in four years.

Celtic held an eight-point lead over the Ibrox men at the start of 2009 and the popular belief is that a strengthening of the squad during the January transfer window would have ensured a fourth title in succession.

Celtic made a failed bid for Steven Fletcher of Hibernian and other players were linked with a move to Parkhead but when the transfer window closed, only Willo Flood from Dundee United had been recruited in to the first team squad where he has barely featured.

A disastrous second half to the season away from home saw Celtic's lead whittled away and they paid the price when they surrendered their title and with it, automatic entry in to the Champions League group stages next season which could be worth upwards of £10million.

Auld, who played in the Celtic team that won the European Cup in 1967, told PA Sport that Zombies should not have had the chance to get back in to the title race and that consequently, everyone at Celtic Park has a case to answer.

"It was our own undoing," he said. "Everyone from the directors down should look at themselves and ask themselves 'did we do enough for this magnificent club?'

"I don't know who makes the decisions at the top but the title was ours in January if quality had come in.

"We had the title won in January and we let it slip. There is no doubt about it.

"We were playing well, if not outstandingly well but we needed one, maybe two players.

"I can't criticise the players who have been brought to play and maybe the club is too big for them. You can't blame them.

"Also, we have won the reserve league eight years in a row and surely someone should be coming through from there to make the grade.

"But it's not sour grapes, Zombies deserved to win it in the end."

Speculation over Gordon Strachan's future has begun with the Celtic boss linked with the Sunderland position following the departure of Ricky Sbragia.

However, Auld believes that only Strachan will know if he has the hunger for another season at Parkhead.

He said: "Gordon will make his own mind up. He has the passion but it depends how he feels.

"Only he will know if he did enough or if the club did enough to help him."

Default Re: Bertie Auld tells it like it is

That about sums it up, well said Bertie

Spot on Bertie.

i live in grangemouth ,but im from bo`ness

and thats oor bertie!!!...........a legend ! well said mate.
    god will have the final say,when your day of judgment comes!

Well said big man. At least if it comes from him the board may listen.

Fantastic Expectations... Squire's Avatar

The club should be holding this man's opinion in as high a regard as possible. It's guys like him that's made the Tic what they are, rich in history and reputation, and he never tells a lie not once have i heard the man talking shite.

Did we ever find out if it was true about him getting banned from Celtic TV?

I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

Fucking spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    The club should be holding this man's opinion in as high a regard as possible. It's guys like him that's made the Tic what they are, rich in history and reputation, and he never tells a lie not once have i heard the man talking shite.

Did we ever find out if it was true about him getting banned from Celtic TV?
    Honestly wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Can't be having anyone with an actual opinion on propaganda tv can we ?

Fantastic Expectations... Squire's Avatar

Exactly, it's fucking disgusting if a Celtic Legend, one of the Lisbon Lions, gets banned for speaking his mind and trying to get Celtic back to where they should be.

He hit the nail on the head there. I hope the baord sit up and take notice of everything he has said.

Yer man does n,t fuck about with his words does he ?Well said Bertie although the board will probably just blank him
    http://www.board67.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=46&dateline=125880819  1

Fucking too right.

Agree to an extent. The board could have strenghted us but I still think that the squad we have/had should have been able to win the title.

i live in grangemouth ,but im from bo`ness

when the hell and why the hell did bertie get banned from ctv?
    thats a disgrace if he has tbh

Quote Originally Posted by ChampionsElect View Post
    Agree to an extent. The board could have strenghted us but I still think that the squad we have/had should have been able to win the title.
    I agree, it's easy to say we should have spent more money but our squad should have been able to win this league.

The squad should have been strengthened last summer never mind January.We had that dud Samaras on loan for 6 months but still signed him

I think we all kidded ourselves on as to how good some of the squad really were.

well said from the big man

being a dangerous person i live in dangerville

good auld bertie tells it as it is