Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McGhee Link with Celtic

Default McGhee Link with Celtic

GORDON STRACHAN'S pal Mark McGhee is bang in the frame for the Celtic hotseat as the Hoops gaffer plans his exit.

SunSport can reveal Motherwell boss McGhee is highly-regarded by Parkhead powerbrokers as they ponder the way ahead without Sunderland target Strach.

Former Celtic striker McGhee will feature strongly on Hoops chief executive Peter Lawwell's shortlist alongside the likes of Burnley's Owen Coyle, West Brom boss Tony Mowbray and former West Ham manager Alan Curbishley.

McGhee has also been linked with Aberdeen following Jimmy Calderwood's shock departure - but there has been NO contact with the Dons.

Strachan was remaining tight-lipped on his future last night, but a statement is expected in the next few days.

As the Celtic boss came to terms with his title heartache, Sunderland chief Niall Quinn vowed to land a big-name boss after Ricky Sbragia quit.

Sbragia decided not to take up the second year of his contract after helping the Black Cats stay up and will revert to a backroom role next season.

Steve Bruce would love the chance to take over on Wearside, but Quinn insists the Mackems will take their time in landing a new boss.

He said: "Ricky walked into a difficult time and gave the club a lifeline.

"It's amazing what he did for the club. We had to act quickly last time, but this can be a nice controlled appointment.

"It was rushed before. It is a massive club and we need a big name.

"Big people change mentalities."

Sbragia had struggled to adapt to life in the hotseat and bagged just three wins from 19.

The Scot said: "I was thinking about the club and know they need a bigger name to move on. I kept them up, but it's all about Sunderland.

"It's even better to hand over to someone else knowing the club is still in the Premier League."

Not sure whether I would want him here tbh. Hopefully Strachan and Sunderland can sort something out!

Default Re: McGhee Link with Celtic

Not totally sold on MM becoming our next manager....

To be honest I cant really think of anyone off the top of my head who I would like and Celtic could realistically get in.

Tony Mowbray?

Owen Coyle?

Craig Levein?

Neil Lennon?

Quote Originally Posted by MickyBhoy1888 View Post
    He never said that......He said Jock Stein was great etc etc and he won Ten consecutive titles with Celtic.
    he doesnt say say in a row
    I have gone over this before with a Muppet on EA

For me, I wouldn't give Neil Lennon a chance just yet. To in-experienced for a big club like Celtic. Maybe in 3-4 years time but not just yet. tbh I don't know much about Owen Coyle to comment on.

Basically, all I want is a manager that can get us playing good attacking football again. None of this hit and run shite we have been witness lately (if you can even call it that).

Guys i wouldnt like mark i just dont think he has it.

I would be a very happy man if owen coyle is our next manager

The Sun? I really, really, really, really, really, really, really do not want Mark McGhee anywhere near Celtic Park. Sorry.

Government (noun) Latin: Govern (control) Mente (mind) = Mind Control, Have a nice day.

Naw. Next!
    http://www.board67.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=65&dateline=124621052  3

Please no. Please. He took Motherwell from 3rd to bottom 6. Says it all.

I'd like Coyle, but if Burnley get promoted, he's not gonna leave after taking them to the EPL, is he?

Honestly, I'd prefer to Strachan to McGhee, which says an awful fucking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Messi1888 View Post
    Please no. Please. He took Motherwell from 3rd to bottom 6. Says it all.

I'd like Coyle, but if Burnley get promoted, he's not gonna leave after taking them to the EPL, is he?

Honestly, I'd prefer to Strachan to McGhee, which says an awful fucking lot.
    Thats why i'll be cheering on sheffield united,

Your dead right messi i think i'd rather strach than Mcghee

I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

I want Big Mogga, we know for a fact he plays fantastic football, and he likes young plaers which is beneficial for us

Quote Originally Posted by hoopymo View Post
    I want Big Mogga, we know for a fact he plays fantastic football, and he likes young plaers which is beneficial for us
    Same here. Strachan lovers go on about how he got WBA relegated. Strachan got Coventry relegated ffs.

WBA got relegated because they try attack and don't have the players to do it. We do.

I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

Even when they lost they looked damn good while doing it, good tic man too, and he knows how to deal with the SPL.

Quote Originally Posted by Messi1888 View Post
    Same here. Strachan lovers go on about how he got WBA relegated. Strachan got Coventry relegated ffs.

WBA got relegated because they try attack and don't have the players to do it. We do.
    Well said mate and I completely agree. All we can do is hope at this stage.

I can see the board going for him as he seems like a manager they could control, like the did with Strachan.

McGhee isn't capable of taking us forward as a club.

Plays great football has to to be a must for next manager who ever it may be

McGhee will go to Aberdeen I think , would be uproar if he became our manager.

GORDON Strachan last night left the questions the Celtic supporters wanted answered hanging in the air.

The manager lasted less than two minutes in the Celtic Park press room following the surrender of the championship to Zombies.

With speculation rife that Sunderland want him after Ricky Sbragia stepped down from the Stadium of Light hotseat last night, the manager refused to answer questions about his own future.

And in spite of promises made at Easter Road the previous weekend that he would assess the season once it had been completed Strachan remembered his manners and little else.

There was heartfelt praise and congratulations offered to Zombies' management team. There was the obligatory vote of thanks to the Celtic fans for their vocal backing throughout the season.

And there was an admission that the manager's team had not been good enough.
    But there was no attempt to address his own future.

He said: "So far as today's game was concerned we weren't good enough. It was a dead game. But I've got to thank the players and my staff. They've done a good job.

"I've also got to thank the fans. It wasn't easy for them today. We weren't up to the challenge and that's a disappointment. At the end of the day we only have ourselves to blame.There are certain areas of the side which haven't been good enough and we need to look at that.

"And then we come on to the next part. I have to say well done to Walter (Smith), Ally (McCoist) and Kenny (McDowall).

"It's not easy to win a championship. You might think it's a dawdle but it's not. You have to lose with dignity and then deal with the rest."

Strachan's fleeting appearance in front of the media was a re-run of his cameo role at Tannadice when Celtic won the title there a year ago.

He might have been excused on that occasion since the game took place only two days after Tommy Burns' funeral and the boss had been emotionally over-wrought in the lead-up to the match.

But the reason for his quick-fire response to a single question yesterday, and why he should have been on his feet while preparing to leave the room before he had finished speaking, is something the manager will doubtless explain at a later date.

But the Celtic boss did receive support and sympathy for his title loss from Hearts counterpart Csaba Laszlo.

He said: "Gordon has become a good friend.

"He was obviously very disappointed when we embraced at the final whistle but I wished him all the best for the future."
    Come on Sunderland, do us a favour, ppppllleeeaaassseeeee

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
    McGhee will go to Aberdeen I think , would be uproar if he became our manager.
    Agreed, on both counts.