Thread: 100 million squad?

Default 100 million squad?

Do Celtic have our first squad worth 100 million? I say yes.

Dembele and Tierney would bring in 50 million.

We were told at the weekend that Simunovic is being looked at by Palace and Burnley for 8 million and Armstrong to Southampton for 10 million. The likes of Griffiths and Rogic would go for similar. Sinclair, Ntcham, Forrest, Boyata and Gordon could all bring in fees too.

Semi-Benevolent Dictator Euskadi's Avatar

Default Re: 100 million squad?

A player is only worth as much as he's bought for, or more than a club rejects an offer for I guess, so it's complete speculation. And all our players would be sold for less than they would be sold for in another league so it's also hard to gauge based on PL moves.
    You've probably not even bought a share in your whole entire life
    ~~ Admitting Peter Lawwell into my consciousness since 2015 ~~

Probably, aye - it's all very subjective though - but here's what I would personally value them at:

Player Assumed value (m)
    Gordon 2.5
    De Vries 0.5
    Hazard 0.0
    Simunovic 8.0
    Gamboa 0.5
    Boyata 4.5
    Lustig 3.5
    Sviatchenko 2.5
    Compper 1.0
    Ajer 1.5
    Ralston 0.5
    Miller 0.3
    Tierney 15.0
    Bitton 3.0
    Roberts 0.0
    Brown 4.0
    Sinclair 8.0
    Armstrong 6.0
    Hayes 2.0
    Rogic 4.0
    Ntcham 4.5
    Benyu 1.0
    McGregor 2.5
    Forrest 7.5
    Henderson 1.0
    Kouassi 3.0
    Griffiths 6.5
    Demebele 15.0
    Edouard 0.0
    Morgan 0.5
    Christie 1.5
    Allan 0.0
    Ciftci 0.0
    Total 110.3

I've left out players such as Roberts and Edouard, seeing as they're only on loan to us, but if they were added in it would take the total up to around the 120m mark.

Well as the van dijk, Wanyama and many other moves proved, we may sign players for approx 3mil each but it doesn't mean we have a squad worth say 30million just

that maybe just what we paid overall, but worth based on actual ability is different.

big clubs have so much cash they don't need to gamble so allow players to move to places like Celtic and Ajax and watch them in Europe and are happy to pay the extra fees.

That's why if our board raised their budgets a little then we could have a few proven players at our realistic level along with other cheaper under the radar signings plus youth.

Then we ca build as strong a squad as most EPL sides but at a fraction of the budget.

Everton for example spend over 200mil but are mostly spending 20m a player simply because where they play, not their actual worth in terms of ability.
    Has anyone seen my facts??

Lofty said Jameeys maw loves dick but Loftys maw choked on her sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbhoy1990 View Post
    That's why if our board raised their budgets a little then we could have a few proven players at our realistic level along with other cheaper under the radar signings plus youth.

Then we ca build as strong a squad as most EPL sides but at a fraction of the budget
    Are you saying we could be in the market for the same players as EPL sides but somehow spend a fraction of what they do? How would that be possible? I suppose on the off chance you get a player who wants game time but the vast majority would rather sign for a PL team

Quote Originally Posted by Euskadi View Post
    Are you saying we could be in the market for the same players as EPL sides but somehow spend a fraction of what they do? How would that be possible? I suppose on the off chance you get a player who wants game time but the vast majority would rather sign for a PL team
    No, I'm saying we can get players who are good enough for the Premier League and Europe but haven't proved themselves at a certain level that would attract real interest from those clubs.

We got Van Dijk for 2.5mil, he is now a 75mil player. Yet his actual worth in terms of ability probably isn't any of those fees. He was good enough for the Premier the day we bought him.

I'm saying we can get real quality on the cheap, but if we pushed our budgets up from 3million to say 6or7mil more regular then we increase our chances of getting these players early.

Then instead of having just 2 or 3 in the squad you have a realistic chance of having 5-6 real quality players.

If we increased our budget we could have a decent squad in Europe without spending 30mil per player.

But don't you think pushing our budget to 6-7m would have us looking at the same players the PL sides buy for 20m?

Quote Originally Posted by Euskadi View Post
    But don't you think pushing our budget to 6-7m would have us looking at the same players the PL sides buy for 20m?
    Closer to it, but not exactly. Also they can't buy them all.

Basically the method in which the board scout and deals/bargains they look for is ok but the net they cast is too small. Increase the budget and we increase range.

dutch, belgian leagues etc we can get guys for a few mil
    Dembele deal we got a 7mil player for 500k
    Getting youth players from the top 4 EPL sides
    Guys like Sinclair who have done ok in England but go off form or out of favour (Same when we signed guys like Sutton, Hartson etc)

These methods are perfect, but when you limit yourself to a few million then you are going to miss out on players and we have in the past with Lewandowski and Huntelaar for example.

Then if we say build a squad and 7 of the players came within our current financial limits, but we struggle to fill a few key positions with quality, then simply increase the budget.

We can afford to do it and it would help us build a real quality squad against most sides in Europe except obviously the top CL level.
    Last edited by Celticbhoy1990; 09-01-2018 at 03:26 PM.

I think because of the fact that all of these players would go to England we would/will command inflated fees.

Brendan said the other day that clubs have inquired about Moussa but they have had no bids. Obviously our asking price is putting them off. The success of VVD and Wanyama will ramp our asking prices right up.

Get the feeling we are going to do some serious business in this window. With the VVD money and say Simunovic out the door we have about 15 million. Add to that the money that is already sitting in the bank and we are primed to spend like we haven't since MON's first season.

With consecutive CL campaigns and potential players sales we are moving into a different stratosphere where we can expect annual 90 million revenues. Enough to compete with the bottom EPL sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolercoaster View Post
    I think because of the fact that all of these players would go to England we would/will command inflated fees.

Brendan said the other day that clubs have inquired about Moussa but they have had no bids. Obviously our asking price is putting them off. The success of VVD and Wanyama will ramp our asking prices right up.

Get the feeling we are going to do some serious business in this window. With the VVD money and say Simunovic out the door we have about 15 million. Add to that the money that is already sitting in the bank and we are primed to spend like we haven't since MON's first season.

With consecutive CL campaigns and potential players sales we are moving into a different stratosphere where we can expect annual 90 million revenues. Enough to compete with the bottom EPL sides.
    we always could though, that's the thing. We were getting to last 16s under Strachan and then Lennon and still not spending. We have huge squads with wasted wages on average players.

We went with cheap option with Deila when if we went with a decent manager woulda got champions league money then probably.

Even if we do earn we just remain at stage 1 in this selling plan and never move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbhoy1990 View Post
    we always could though, that's the thing. We were getting to last 16s under Strachan and then Lennon and still not spending. We have huge squads with wasted wages on average players.

We went with cheap option with Deila when if we went with a decent manager woulda got champions league money then probably.

Even if we do earn we just remain at stage 1 in this selling plan and never move forward.
    Previously we would have one or two seasons in succession with the big turnovers and then the Huns would win the league. That isn't the case anymore. And even without the CL money we could still sell a couple of players and get up to the 80/90 million turnover. Lennon said years back for us to move onto the next level - eg, signing players worth 5-10 million - we would need a few seasons with consecutive qualification for the CL. I honestly think we are now on the brink of that and completely dwarfing over the rest of Scotland forevermore.