Thread: Ajer

Default Ajer

Reckon he will be a first team player next season.

Playing a raw 19 year old at CB this season wouldn't have been wise. Hat's off to Brendan and his magnificent teeth.

Could go very far in the game too if he is Celtic's established CB by the time he is 20.

Default Re: Ajer

Celtic travel to Dundee on Boxing Day before next weekend's visit of Zombies and Rodgers says he could choose Ajer to feature in the Old F**m derby.

"I would have no hesitation," the manager said. "He has all the qualities - it is just about getting him the experience. I thought he was brilliant.

"I said afterwards in the changing-room to all the players, this is a boy that, when I came in last year was 18, 6ft 5in but just needed some men's football.

"We sent him to Kilmarnock and he was taught very well by Lee McCulloch and Lee Clark and, when he came in the summer, he was a man.

"He was physically developed and he played in some of the Champions League games early on.

"He is fast, he can carry the ball and you see how he wins his aerial challenges as well so he is a big prospect for us."

Semi-Benevolent Dictator Euskadi's Avatar

"Playing a raw 19 year old at CB this season wouldn't have been wise. Hat's off to Brendan"

>quotes Rodgers saying he'd play him in the derby

Anyway I hope he does. Ajer and Siatchenko at the back, the Scandinavian Skelpers
    You've probably not even bought a share in your whole entire life
    ~~ Admitting Peter Lawwell into my consciousness since 2015 ~~

If we are only aiming to develop players and don't give a fuck about European progress

Then we may as well throw them in. Even if u lose it doesnt matter in that sense.
    Has anyone seen my facts??

Lofty said Jameeys maw loves dick but Loftys maw choked on her sick.

It's more realistic to develop players to a European standard than it is to buy them though. Look at the likes of Forster, Wanyama, Van Dijk. We had those players in Europe because we bought them young. Would we be able to buy them now? Obviously not.

Quote Originally Posted by Euskadi View Post
    It's more realistic to develop players to a European standard than it is to buy them though. Look at the likes of Forster, Wanyama, Van Dijk. We had those players in Europe because we bought them young. Would we be able to buy them now? Obviously not.
    I could put a list of all the failures as well though and wasted money on their fees and wages.

Also what i said was as a selling club. Qualifying should still be expected.

But if we arent going to buy or keep our best players when developed then the results after qualification are pointless as we have settled for that target.

So in terms of waiting a year to play guys like Ajer we could start them way more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbhoy1990 View Post
    If we are only aiming to develop players and don't give a fuck about European progress

Then we may as well throw them in. Even if u lose it doesnt matter in that sense.
    It was good management to bring him into the team gradually. 19 year old boys shouldn't really be playing CL football at CB. It is the one position on the park you really can't be too wet behind the ears.

Give him the Hun game and another dozen or so games then let him fight it out with whoever else we have for CB in the summer. Think Boyata will stay because Brendan loves him. Can see Simunovic and Sviatchenko going and another coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolercoaster View Post
    It was good management to bring him into the team gradually. 19 year old boys shouldn't really be playing CL football at CB. It is the one position on the park you really can't be too wet behind the ears.
    Instead of doing this he played a midfielder there with no experience in the position, who struggled as a result. It was the completely wrong call in hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by Euskadi View Post
    Instead of doing this he played a midfielder there with no experience in the position, who struggled as a result. It was the completely wrong call in hindsight.
    Ajer wouldn't have been able to do much to stop what happened in the CL. Best sacrificing Bitton than damage Ajer's confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolercoaster View Post

Give him the Hun game and another dozen or so games then let him fight it out with whoever else we have for CB in the summer. Think Boyata will stay because Brendan loves him. Can see Simunovic and Sviatchenko going and another coming in.
    Like i said. I agree when it comes to qualifiers. My point is that if we are going to play in Groups with no real ambition except qualifying then fire him in.

Like Ralston but even though u get hammered u know thats the highest level u are likely to face. Give u a level to aim at.

I think Biton was a waste of potential experience for ajer tbh.

Also if we are looking to turnover profits by selling then the earlier they get into the side the better for profits

I obviously dont agree with always being a selling side. I feel like we should have a few years selling followed by a few years building a decent side.

However if they want to develop and sell then just get the guys on the park. Especially spl level which we could win with half our youth team on.

Three starts in last 3 games and 3 clean sheets, hope you noticed Brendan

Everyone here in agreement that Ajer should be our man to start from here on in?
    The thumb - proving Lofty and lolercoaster wrong since 2014

Quote Originally Posted by dan123y View Post
    Everyone here in agreement that Ajer should be our man to start from here on in?
    No not yet. We need better and that means buying another CB.

Quote Originally Posted by pual View Post
    No not yet. We need better and that means buying another CB.
    I'm with you, paul. I think we need to buy a full new defence from keeper and around. Teirney being the exception.

But Ajer can be our project. As I dont think he has under-played at all. In fact, the game against Aberdeen he made a wonderful last ditch tackle in the box. The kind that involves bravery and agression. I was impressed by those attributes in him. So, he is still there for us to hopefully build into a great CB.

But, you are right. We need to spend high at the back. Because lets face it, we attack and press really well. If we had a solid defence, that could really be the cherry on teh cake for us.
    Last edited by dan123y; 26-12-2017 at 10:26 PM.

I think Ajer has a future with us cos he's a ball playing defender if you know what I mean. He's better than the others at carrying it forward etc.

I think Ajer has a future with us cos he's a ball playing defender if you know what I mean. He's better than the others at carrying it forward etc.
    Aye, He looks like he may go far. So we must hold onto him whilst buying immediate first team quality for Europe. Our attacking play is okay man. With a good defence we could really move up a level.

I would go as far to say he will play at least 100 games for us. Whether he ready yet is the question.

He looks great going forward and picks his moments rather than blindly running at people, my only concern has been as a defender but 3 clean sheets with him starting next to boyata should mean he starts against the animals

Quote Originally Posted by jake10 View Post
    He looks great going forward and picks his moments rather than blindly running at people, my only concern has been as a defender but 3 clean sheets with him starting next to boyata should mean he starts against the animals
    He made a fantastic tackle in the game against Aberdeen, I think it was? Would have been a goal otherwise. Wonderful tackle.

Can you mind the one I am talking about?