Thread: The Book Thread - What are you reading?

Poblacht

Thumbs up The Book Thread - What are you reading?

Just finished 'Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game' by Michael Lewis and 'Soccernomics' By Simon Kuper. Its completely changed my perception of the game to be honest.

Just ordered 'The New Human Rights Movement: Reinventing the Economy to End Oppression' by Peter Joseph (Zeitgeist Founder).

Default Re: The Book Thread - What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Jameeyy View Post
    Just finished 'Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game' by Michael Lewis and 'Soccernomics' By Simon Kuper. Its completely changed my perception of the game to be honest.

Just ordered 'The New Human Rights Movement: Reinventing the Economy to End Oppression' by Peter Joseph (Zeitgeist Founder).
    All those Michael Lewis books are great tbh.

The way analytics are shaping front office decision making, most notably in baseball and basketball, is the biggest advance in sports over the last twenty years.

Nothing. Not read in years. Me and Keanu usually just Netflix and chill.

Actually I have been reading a lot of feature articles. Good source this: https://longform.org/

Poblacht

Quote Originally Posted by jquinn View Post
    All those Michael Lewis books are great tbh.

The way analytics are shaping front office decision making, most notably in baseball and basketball, is the biggest advance in sports over the last twenty years.
    You're spot on. FC Midtjylland have copied the model and they are being rewarded with success.

Poblacht

Quote Originally Posted by Lolercoaster View Post
    Actually I have been reading a lot of feature articles. Good source this: https://longform.org/
    What are they, mate?

Changed perception in what way?
    Has anyone seen my facts??

Lofty said Jameeys maw loves dick but Loftys maw choked on her sick.

You're spot on. FC Midtjylland have copied the model and they are being rewarded with success.
    Good article below on one of the better GMs in the NBA

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/b...rt_of_nba.html

Poblacht

Quote Originally Posted by Celticbhoy1990 View Post
    Changed perception in what way?
    That any thing is possible in Football, if done correctly. Football is hugely inflated and take this dinosaur mentality that if a Club spunks 89m on Pogba you're going to get that value. Its nonsense.

That any thing is possible in Football, if done correctly. Football is hugely inflated and take this dinosaur mentality that if a Club spunks 89m on Pogba you're going to get that value. Its nonsense.
    They get their value through jersey sales, being able to charge exorbitant advertising rates (they're about to sign a contract of 20m a season for their fuckin sleeves)

Semi-Benevolent Dictator Euskadi's Avatar

Man Utd get fuck all from Pogba's jersey sales. That's a common misconception among football fans

They do get like a zillion quid off Adidas regardless though
    You've probably not even bought a share in your whole entire life
    ~~ Admitting Peter Lawwell into my consciousness since 2015 ~~

Poblacht

Quote Originally Posted by jake10 View Post
    They get their value through jersey sales, being able to charge exorbitant advertising rates (they're about to sign a contract of 20m a season for their fuckin sleeves)
    Nah they don't, Euskadi is on point here.

In fact the whole Pogba transfer was like one massive advert for Adidas. It was awful.

Poblacht

Quote Originally Posted by jquinn View Post
    Good article below on one of the better GMs in the NBA

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/b...rt_of_nba.html
    Thats the model right there. Every shot to goal ratio is counted. These dinosaurs in the game are calling it 'nerdy'. Well if success if nerdy then fair enough.

Poblacht

Quote Originally Posted by Euskadi View Post
    In fact the whole Pogba transfer was like one massive advert for Adidas. It was awful.
    #Pogback bro

Thats the model right there. Every shot to goal ratio is counted. These dinosaurs in the game are calling it 'nerdy'. Well if success if nerdy then fair enough.
    Football seems to have a lot more variables than many other sports though. Baseball isn't even a sport really.

But like, if you shoot in basketball and it doesn't go in, it's your fault. If you shoot in football there's other factors in play whether it goes in. You can lay the ball off to someone who smashes it in from 40 yards and get an assist which is the same stat as taking it past 4 defenders and squaring it for someone to tap-in.

Maybe I'm just showing ignorance to other sports though (apart from baseball, which is not a sport)

Poblacht

Football seems to have a lot more variables than many other sports though. Baseball isn't even a sport really.

But like, if you shoot in basketball and it doesn't go in, it's your fault. If you shoot in football there's other factors in play whether it goes in. You can lay the ball off to someone who smashes it in from 40 yards and get an assist which is the same stat as taking it past 4 defenders and squaring it for someone to tap-in.

Maybe I'm just showing ignorance to other sports though (apart from baseball, which is not a sport)
    Possession also gets counted I think. There is a new young manager in some League doing this and its paying off. Can't remember his name but it was in a article.

You're not wrong that it is difficult to isolate individual performance in football, but basketball and especially American football, are similar in that regard. Point is, using the old school "eye-test" as the primary method of evaluation is outdated and will get you smoked.

What are they, mate?
    Just a repository for award winning feature articles. All topics, science, sport, politics ...

hail Hail bhoys long time no talkie :-)

Just finished A bhoy called Bertie and Bobby Evans forgotten hero.

Decent reads both them.