Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Aiden Mcgeady favoured because he's Irish?

Default Is Aiden Mcgeady favoured because he's Irish?

I've heard it suggested that most Celtic fans overlook Aiden's poorer attributes, because he has done what a large chunk (Irish) of our support would love to do, play for Ireland and Celtic.

Does McGeady get special treatment? Do we overly-criticise other players whilst ignoring Aiden's faults?
    Last edited by Max Raptor; 22-05-2009 at 04:22 PM.

I live for Glasgow Celtic clagan's Avatar

Default Re: Is Aiden Mcgeady favoured because he's Irish?

what? aiden hets plenty of stick. his overall play is good and he can beat players for fun but his final ball is gash at times. if he had more end product he'd be lethal but he doesn't.

if aiden does get "special treatment" its because he's one of our top 3 players not his nationality even though irish people are better than jocks

I would say no; simply because Aiden does get allot of criticism from the fans, sometimes rightly so. So no; I dont think he does get special treatment because he is Irish.

Personally, I agree clagan, I think he is praised on merit. I have heard this suggested though and just wanted to see others' opinions.

so biffy you agree that irish people are better than jocks? very honest of you sir, i tip my hat to you

He is favoured by our support because he is one of us, a Celtic fan who was lucky enough to play for the club we all love. He is also our most exciting player in general and has been one of our better players this season. After he fell out with the arsehole, he came back and knuckled down, got himself back to form again. Him and Boruc are our 2 best players, and they both despise the huns.

Unrepentent fenian bstrd Dublinbhoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clagan View Post
    so biffy you agree that irish people are better than jocks? very honest of you sir, i tip my hat to you

Haha, well I'm a bit of both so i'll say they're equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Biffy View Post
    Haha, well I'm a bit of both so i'll say they're equal.
    oh no a fence sitter. i take back my earlier hat tip sir.

I'd say he gets it a lot on merit but i think all the fans know he hates the huns and the fact he fell out with WGS helps

oh no a fence sitter. i take back my earlier hat tip sir.

That was going right on my CV as well...

And Buzzbhoy, to be honest I think he came out worse in that spat.

I dont favour Aiden because he's Irish, It is a plus but I just really think he's an excellent player.

i live in grangemouth ,but im from bo`ness

na! he is favoured cos he is a good player errr i think lol
    god will have the final say,when your day of judgment comes!

i think he fairly criticised and also rightly commended, i think he is one of our top players, and i think a lot is expected of him, but i love him that little bit more because of videos like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tK3a...rom=PL&index=8

'Thing Inside So Strong Ryan 67's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ninjatim View Post
    i think he fairly criticised and also rightly commended, i think he is one of our top players, and i think a lot is expected of him, but i love him that little bit more because of videos like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tK3a...rom=PL&index=8
    That video is brilliant, getting it right up the huns

I actually think he gets his fair share of criticism tbh.

"When you pull on that jersey you're not just playing for a football club, you're playing for a people and a cause"

God Bless Mr Celtic

Quote Originally Posted by Biffy View Post
    I've heard it suggested that most Celtic fans overlook Aiden's forthcomings, because he has done what a large chunk (Irish) of our support would love to do, play for Ireland and Celtic.

Does McGeady get special treatment? Do we overly-criticise other players whilst ignoring Aiden's faults?
    Good question.

I think the answer is probably yes. However I think it is perfectly natural to have a sympathy with a player who is a working class Scottish Catholic of Irish descent, who was a Celtic supporter as a boy. I don't see anything wrong with that. I think also that because he is a 'dribbler' that appeals to fans, and fans love to love a player who can run at defenders and beat them.

I don't think though it need necessarily blind us to his weaknesses. He needs to work on his final ball, his shooting and his decision-making. Despite him being a favourite I feel he actually gets plenty of stick from the support, possibly because we rely on him so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Good question.

I think the answer is probably yes. However I think it is perfectly natural to have a sympathy with a player who is a working class Scottish Catholic of Irish descent, who was a Celtic supporter as a boy. I don't see anything wrong with that. I think also that because he is a 'dribbler' that appeals to fans, and fans love to love a player who can run at defenders and beat them.

I don't think though it need necessarily blind us to his weaknesses. He needs to work on his final ball, his shooting and his decision-making. Despite him being a favourite I feel he actually gets plenty of stick from the support, possibly because we rely on him so much.
    Good post, and I think it's completely natural to perhaps give more of your support to someone from a background you can relate to. Just ask Leone_Naka_Fan, .

I originally liked him because he was. He's how I found out about Celtic actually.

I like him because he is the only player we have who can pick the ball up from an oppositin attack,and turn it into an attack of our own,plus he is die hard Celtic,after easter road last week,you could see how gutted he was.

Dont get me wrong he has his shis performances also,and because we rely on him too much,he gets singled out after every game we ,as a team,dont perform in.

Also had a few words with him a few weeks ago in glasgow on a nite out,sound lad tbh.

I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

I'd say he's favoured because he came through the ranks of the club, he's a flair player, and has potential.