Thread: Websites 'keeping deleted photos'

Default Websites 'keeping deleted photos'

User photographs can still be found on many social networking sites even after people have deleted them, Cambridge University researchers have said.

They put photos on 16 popular websites - noting the web addresses where the images were stored - and deleted them.

The team said it was able to find them on seven sites - including Facebook - using the direct addresses, even after the photos appeared to have gone.

Facebook says deleted photos are removed from its servers "immediately".

The Cambridge University researchers said special photo-sharing sites, such as Flickr and Google's Picasa, did better and Microsoft's Windows Live Spaces removed the photos instantly.

To perform their experiment, the researchers uploaded photos to each of the sites, then deleted them, but kept a note of direct URLs to the photos from the sites' content delivery networks.

When they checked 30 days later, these links continued to work for seven of the sites even though a typical user might think the photos had been removed.

Lazy approach

Joseph Bonneau, one of the PhD students who carried out the study, said: "This demonstrates how social networking sites often take a lazy approach to user privacy, doing what's simpler rather than what is correct.

"It's imperative to view privacy as a design constraint, not a legal add-on."

But a Facebook spokesman defended the company's approach saying; "When a user deletes a photograph from Facebook it is removed from our servers immediately.

"However, URLs to photographs may continue to exist on the Content Delivery Network (CDN) after users delete them from Facebook, until they are overwritten.

"Overwriting usually happens after a short period of time."

Users of Facebook staged a revolt recently over rules which would have given the site permanent ownership of their data.

I do stuff. Mod stuff. Sometimes on fire.

Default Re: Websites 'keeping deleted photos'

And people wonder why i don't use these sites.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopymo View Post
    And people wonder why i don't use these sites.
    You really REALLY should!!

Nah, i have real friends i don't need to track em online, MSN is enough for me.

Fair point, most of the time it's just promoting yourself. I only use "Myspace" to keep in touch with mates I don't get to see often, otherwise I don't use them.

Presente: ahora y siempre Diegan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bhoys Dont Cry View Post
    Fair point, most of the time it's just promoting yourself. I only use "Myspace" to keep in touch with mates I don't get to see often, otherwise I don't use them.
    This is my use of it (Facebook), too. I've moved all around the world so it helps keep in touch. But I also agree it promotes self-centerdness. You literally become the center of your own little world. And it's like playing a game, too... people try to like become popular over the internet. It's really weird... I just try to stay away from it and actually socialize with people. This topic of this thread is just more ammo for that line of thought.

Dont lie!

I dont accept randoms on my bebo, unless i know the person then i just reject there friend request or delete them later.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Dont lie!

I dont accept randoms on my bebo, unless i know the person then i just reject there friend request or delete them later.
    And then they try to add you again for some reason and you feel bad for rejecting them twice and don't know what to do... that's always kind of awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Diegan View Post
    And then they try to add you again for some reason and you feel bad for rejecting them twice and don't know what to do... that's always kind of awkward.
    in that case they get a the old "do i know u??" usualy the responce is "nope just a random add"

Dont lie!

Go ahead and check, i don't have any sort of account with any social networking sites.

Go ahead and check, i don't have any sort of account with any social networking sites.
    My "dont lie" was directed at you saying you have real friends

Oh.

Fuck you called my bluff.

I'm going to need your name, date of birth, address, family information, bank account numbers, etc. to do an adequate check on this challenge...

I'm going to need your name, date of birth, address, family information, bank account numbers, etc. to do an adequate check on this challenge...
    I will be needing a copy of this information

I will be needing a copy of this information
    He may not own a bebo but he's about 10 minutes away from "owning" a condo with beachfront views in Hawaii.

The answer to all of the above is boners.

He may not own a bebo but he's about 10 minutes away from "owning" a condo with beachfront views in Hawaii.

Dont forget the cars and private jets