Thread: Vol. Martin Doherty RIP

Default Vol. Martin Doherty RIP

11th July - 21st May 1994
    Martin Gerard Doherty was born on the 11th of July 1958 and grew up in Finglas with his five brothers and six sisters. He went to St Bridgets School and later attended nearby St Fergal's National School, where he played Gaelic football. He also played soccer for the local Dunsink club. He had two sons Martin and Michael.

Martin, known as "Doco" to his friends, joined the ranks of Óglaigh na hÉireann in the wake of the 1981 hunger strikes. He was a Volunteer with the IRA's Dublin Brigade, constantly on active service up untill his arest and imprisonment in 1982, having been set up by a Garda informer, Éamonn Maguire. Released from Portlaoise Prison in 1988, he got involved in the building trade in Dublin, working as a lavourer, and also immediately reported back to the IRA's Dublin Brigade, where he resumed Active Service going to the heart of enemy territory in England. It was during his second period in Britain that he was arrested by the British Government forces and charged with IRA offences, but later released due to lack of evidence. Doco returned to Ireland and rejoined his comrades in the Dublin Brigade. He never once ceased his involvement with the IRA up untill the time of his death.

On the 21st of May 1994, Doco along with his partner Ann O'Sullican, was running a function for the Sinn Féin P.O.W. Dept. which involved him doing security on The Widow Scallan's pub in Dublin's Pearse Street. Sensing that something wasn't right, he went out and was faced by a loyalist death squad. He challenged them, forcing them to abandon a partially primed 18lb bomb in the stairwell. They shot him through the heart and again as he fell to the ground.

Doco's funeral was attended by thousands of republicans. His military guard of honour prompted John Bruton to make begrudging comments in Leinster House, of the heroic actions of this brave IRA Volunteer. Volunteer Martin Doherty is buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.

RIP Martin, one of Ireland's bravest sons. Didn't know today was his anniversary.
    A true son of Ireland sacrificed his own life to save the lives of many others.

Mind if I put this on Talkshite just to see their reaction,west brits ?!
    Last edited by Hoopymo; 21-05-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Double post.
    http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq19/crinnigan/ajxbp1.png

We can't sing about Connolly,
    We can't sing about Sands,
    Celtic Football Club, is in the wrong hands!

Default Re: Vol. Martin Doherty RIP

Quote Originally Posted by KildareCFC View Post
    Mind if I put this on Talkshite just to see their reaction,west brits ?!
    Not at all

I live for Glasgow Celtic clagan's Avatar

a true hero and a soldier. tiocfaidh ar la

RIP.

Gave his live to stop the murder of innocents. Says it all.
    Last edited by zmcfc; 21-05-2009 at 07:42 PM.

Absolutely

Bravery personified

being a dangerous person i live in dangerville

True hero!